Answers/

General Running

Why do I feel sick after a long run?

asked almost 4 years ago | Report

Whenever I go for a run longer then 6 miles I feel sick to my stomach for hours? Nothing tastes good, and my stomach is really sloshy, what should I do?

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Post run nausea and other symptoms are not uncommon and frequently are related to dehydration, insufficient nutrition, and/or electrolyte depletion. Basically, you need to at least drink something that will replenish your electrolytes and give you some basic energy. Or you need to eat something and drink some water.

For example, A banana and water, or chocolate milk and some saltines. As much as it might be hard... its likely you really need to eat something and drink something. It might take some experimenting to find the right thing for you because, as you say, everything tastes off. And, with a bit of nausea... somethings might not want to stay down.

One of the best is Chocolate Milk containing sugar, milk proteins, and generally most people tolerate it well... plus its pretty tasty. (Oh, if chocolate is not your thing... strawberry Qwik is just as good. Or, for that matter so is Carnation Instant Breakfast or a milk based nutrition drink. Test these things out... everyone's queasy stomach is a little different and what upsets one can calm another.)

Other thing to try is to mix up several small bits of food like part of a banana, a few saltines, and some water or sports drink. This gives you a decent mix of foods and some electrolytes, most folks can tolerate these pretty well.

Sometimes it take a slower approach to getting the food and liquid you need in... so, some hard candies like lollipops or such that have the sugar your body is craving without a lot of bulk. Drink some water or, again, sports beverage.

The basic concept is... you need at least some hydration... and in this context... any liquid except alcoholic ones will do. From Milk to Milkshakes to Water to Pop to sports drink... that all have water in them and that's what you need... (plus the other ingredients won't hurt nutritionally... some might further upset your stomach so, again, test various things out.)

Another thing to do is to try to prevent the condition for developing by eating and drinking during the runs. There are lots of alternatives from purpose created sports nutrition items like gels, gummies, and sports drinks to stuff you can make yourself... like cookies, bits of fruit, and hydration mixes (pinch of salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 qt water then flavor as desired.)

You can also try salt tablets and water...

answered almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • One thing as well, try eating a little something about an hour before running. I generally eat a banana and/or a Slim Fast meal bar or granola bar. Also get one of those little fanny packs with the small water bottles (or one you can just carry in your hand instead of the fanny pack) and put some Gatorade/Propel/Powerade in it for hydration during the run.

Bo loves the chocolate milk but I would look at the new Gatorade 3 (after workout) recovery drink. Healthier than chocolate milk without the fat and sugar of the chocolate milk. Does not sit as heavy either. But like Bo said, you gotta experiment with it. You also may need to experiment with temperature, too cold could keep you feeling the same, same with too warm. Sip whatever you decide to drink. Drinking too fast could cause you to get sick as well.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It's hard on your body to run emtpy. I eat a few grapes and a bite of banana and some sips of water before I run in the morning to give my body something to work with.

You aren't running on a full tummy are you?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I don't usually have that problem, but I've heard that sometimes dairy can upset the tummy. Be aware of what you eat/drink the day before and immediately before longer runs. It may not be the dairy, but pay attention to your diet before your long runs.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running