Answers/

General Running

What is causing me to feel sick after my long runs?

asked almost 4 years ago | Report

Every time I do my long run, I am sick for nearly the rest of the day. I am nauseated and have major intestinal issues and pain. I have tried eating before my run, not eating before my run, drinking more water, etc. I am training for a half marathon in September and the last thing i want is to spend the rest of my Sundays before the race on my couch or in my bathroom!! Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Kendra

9 answers

scroll to bottom
  • it looks like you have been running 10-18 miles a week. running almost half that in one run is probably to much for your current level of fitness. I would suggest running 4 times a week, keep it slow, and then as you get more comfortable running 20 miles a week try again with taking 1 of those runs back to 7 or 8 miles.

If you don't want to try that I'd say just slow it down on the long run until you get more comfortable with the distance.

answered almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • are you running in extreme heat? what are you eating before/during your run? have tried changing it up?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The same thing has been happening to me, so far I have chaulked it up to dehydration. I am not currently carrying water with me, I am looking to buy a hydration belt to keep the water coming, I'm also thinking about trying gatarade or something similiar. Are you drinking lots the day before, 2 hours b4 and every 2 miles?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • II had the same problem when I started doing any run over 10 miles. For me it was a lack of salt. The first couple of times it happened it was really bad and my husband was ready to take me to the doctor because I had no idea what was going on. Fortunately, my sister is a nurse and was able to tell me what was going on.

I have found that the combination of water and chews or sport beans before, during, and after my long runs help. I still cannot eat anything right after my long runs and will have some soup (a lot of salt) about an hour after I am finished my run. During the Nashville marathon, they gave at salt packets and that was a huge help so I am going to use them for my half and full races this fall. It is all trial and error. Make sure you hydrate and keep running! I believe the advice you received on getting more mini runs in during the week is a great tip too!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • May need more fluids plus electrolytes (could include salt as others mentioned). If you search forums for "electrolytes" you should find more details.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to have the same problem with any run over an hour and a half. During my first half marathon in March I had pretty bad stomach pain for about 9 of the 13 miles. I figured out that I wasn't hydrating enough. Now I have a fuel belt that holds 4 - 8 oz. bottles and I'm also experimenting with gels during my long runs. So far I've been able to run up to 15 miles without any stomach issues. Hope this helps...good luck

Scott

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Here is something that you can try. Do not eat or drink anything immediately after your run. Give your body plenty of time to cool down and for your heart rate to come down and get back to "normal" before you try to hydrate or refuel.

I am not sure but I think that the problem is with your stomach. I have been having a similar issue. After a long hard run, usually in the heat, I have often been rendered a useless lump due to the nausea. After reading several forums and peoples advices (drink more water, try salt etc) I think I am honing in on the problem.

In one recent hard run, a full marathon in the heat, I did these things and didn't get sick.
    I had extra salt before the run and had a dash at each aid station.
    I didn't stop moving after the run and kept walking and moving as long as I could.
    I didn't drink or eat much of anything until after an hour after the race. Then I started sipping on sports drink, and I mean just sipping.

This seemed to work.

Then last weekend I ran a hard 30k race where I really pushed myself. The weather was not hot but it was humid. After the race I was tired but felt OK and then I made a mistake. I drank a bottle of sports drink. And after THAT, the nausea hit again, about an hour after the race.

SO, I am thinking that at least for me, I'll have to just hold off on refuelling or rehydrating until some time after the race. I think that if an hour passes and you are still OK, then you can start sipping on something.

People have told me to drink more water but there is only so much water that I can drink before the sloshing in my stomach feels uncomfortable. Maybe getting used to that is something that I need to work on. During the last full marathon I drank two cups of water at each aid station for a total of about 2 litres of water drank during the run but I lost 6kg of weight during the run. There is no way I could drink enough to NOT LOSE WEIGHT has many people suggest. For me it's just not possible and I don't think it is necessary either.

answered almost 4 years ago |edited almost 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've recently had 3 runs where I feel somewhat the same. Just today, I did 10 miles in an hour and a half. I felt great during the run. Came home, talked to the husband. Drank some water. Jumped in the shower and when I got out, I felt like butt. I feel like I'm going to throw up and have zero appetite.

I carry a Camelback with water on my "long" runs, but I think I didn't hydrate enough yesterday. I did 13 miles a few weeks ago and was fine. This feeling is awful. I think I'll take Sarah's advice and eat some soup.

Thanks for all the comments! They've been helpful.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the same thing! I am glad that I came across this post because I just ran a 11 mile and feel terrible. This happens to me when I distance train. I am trying to slowly eat salty popcorn and not vomit. I drank a gatorade and also ate sports beans throughout the run but had a few beers last night and didnt sleep the night before. That could have done it but this happens with any distance over 9 miles. Ugh.

answered over 1 year ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running