Answers/

General Running

Does anyone else experience the feverish/sweaty feeling after exercise??

asked about 4 years ago | Report

Question for my fellow athletes: Lately after I finish a workout (usually biking or running) I get goosebumps and feel cold, although I'm hot and sweaty, I feel cold-almost a feverish feeling. Then after I get out of the shower- I still feel the same cold/feverish feeling and I continue to sweat, especially on my back for up to two hours post-workout. Has anyone else had this happen or know the cause?

14 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I haven't felt this way with running, but one time, back in March, I went on a vigorous bike ride. The next day, I felt like I was coming down with something. Then the next day (two days later), it felt like I had the flu, low grade fever and chills. Odd. I recovered and haven't had that problem after biking since then, so maybe i DID come down with a virus, but I really suspect it was the bike ride that I overdid.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • BTW hope it goes away! You might want to see the doctor just in case...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I get that goose-bumpy, chilled feeling even though I'm hot and sweaty after almost every time I run. It doesn't last long, though. Probably not more than 20-30 minutes.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It may be due to dehydration or low sugar levels. How quickly do you replace electrolytes and sugar after exercise?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm with Joe on this... could be a mild case of dehydration... I've noticed that I get this "flush"/"Feverish" feeling when I've not kept hydrated. ( I've also noticed it being related to some vitamin supplements taken too close to my running time. Especially Niacin/B-Complex.)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hi. It happened to me today- exactly like that. Ran only 2 miles at 10:30 am- it was muggy as heck and I am still sweating 2 1/2 hrs after (not as much, obviously). I put on a sweat shirt, sweat it out and drank a lot of water. I took a shower but I feel very tired. I think it has to do w/ hydration, but not totally sure! Interested in seeing other responses! Thx!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Happens to me, well, not the continuing to sweat for two hours. But the cold feeling. I also think it is related to hydration.
    It happens more to me when I am running hard, and its hot. I've asked a few docs but none of them really seem to give me an answer that makes sense.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Found your thread because I've had the issue the past two days. I took three, unintended days off my regimen, then on the fourth, my treadmill died. I joined a gym, and the past two days I've had a brutal, feverish/fluish feeling afterward. I'm not sweating anymore than usual (of course, after running, I now go out to my car sitting in the 25-degree parking lot), but this... "ick" feeling does not seem to abate. I was thinking maybe dehydration (some chest discomfort today suggested that, as well). I have found that two tylenol and one advil do the trick.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Sometimes when you exert a lot of energy your body goes in to a kind of "protect mode" and most of its enegy goes to protect the core. When this happens you may feel cold, especially at the extemities, and feverish. Try to replenish fluids asap and put on warm clothes. This happens to me often at the end of a training week when I am most tired. Hope this helps.

answered over 3 years ago |edited over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Based on what you're described, I think what is happening is either what Joe or Tammy has pointed out. I sure hope you've figured it out. If not, a doctor's visit is probably your best bet.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Don't forget when you are re-hydrating your body needs salts as well as liquids or you could in extreme conditions end up with Hyponatremia a potentially lethal condition when the body is over hydrated and not enough salts. This is far more dangerous than dehydration. you could have a mild case of this.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have the same issue. It doesn't matter whether it's 5 or 23 miles either but it was WORSE after the 5 mile run and the temps were a bit warmer for that. It's not hydration because I way myself before and after and I gain weight on the run so I know I'm hydrated. I drink Gatorade, so it's not electrolytes. I came home and cooked eggs and an english muffin and had a glass of orange juice so it's not potassium. I had an english muffin with almond butter on it and a cup of coffee before the run which has always been my routine. I had a blazingly hot shower too. I got out of the shower and got the shakes and chills, went to bed with a sweatsuit and a hat on, under an electric blanket turned up to High and a comforter on top of that and two dogs who insist on sleeping with their Mom. I woke up 3 hours later, warmer but still not up to par. Now that's the most severe reaction I've had...usually putting a hat on after the ice bath/hot shower works though.

answered almost 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Not sure where you are located, but it could be heat stroke (google it). Be safe and take it easy for a few days. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Agree with Joe and Bo A,
    Don't worry Jen, it's just that you've dehydrated and loss of electrolytes. I do feel like that at times. Have a banana and get some electrolyte. get out of your wet clothes, no matter even if they are dri-fit types. Cover your body in warm clothing and wait for the feeling to go away before you hit the shower, and make sure you have a hot shower.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running