Answers/

General Running

Has anyone run with calf compression sleeves like 2xu or zensah and did they work?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

I deal with minor calf strains each summer. I don't know why. They heal up and I go about my business. I'm wondering if compression sleeves will help.

11 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I have fancy-shmancy compression tights (Skins) that I used a few times over the winter. Not calf-specific, but is supposed to serve the same function. I can't say I personally felt any difference.

Perhaps if you are an elite runner and every 1% difference in performance has a $100,000 impact on earnings, these would make more sense.

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think the compression socks are more meant for post-race recovery and circulation. It will help you get back to 100% faster after an event or long workout if worn after the event.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used the 2xu calf guards earlier this year when I got a minor strain 3-4 weeks before my marathon. I eased right back on the training and used the calf guard for all the runs I'd left to do and wore them on the day of the race too. I thought they helped but to be honest that's just my 2cents - I couldn't swear to it. I still wear one or both of them on occasion. The only advice I'd give is to follow the sizing exactly even though you might think you're buying 2 sizes too small. No harm in trying one on in-store either.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I wear Zensah compression calf sleeves after long runs, races, and especially tough workouts. I've noticed a much faster recovery time than when I don't wear them. For what it's worth, I've also worn the Injinji over-the-calf compression toe socks (to work, no less, as they're not easily distinguishable from dress socks if you don't take off your shoes) with much the same results.

I haven't worn either during a race, though. I did notice that several runners were wearing calf sleeves during a 6-hour race I did last month as well as during a marathon I did last year.

I have read that the compression provides additional support that improves circulation and reduces muscle fatigue during runs, which presumably results in better performance. In fact, CEP (a company that makes medical-grade compression gear) claims a performance improvement of as much as 5% when wearing their compression socks/sleeves.

I have a 20-miler this weekend. Maybe I'll wear the sleeves or socks and report back.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Okay. I did a 21 mile run this morning with the Injinji compression socks. I was originally going to wear the Zensah compression sleeves, but I read a note over at nomeatathlete.com, specifically at http://www.nomeatathlete.com/cep-compression-socks-giveaway/ -- it appears that sleeves for long runs might not be a great idea. It seems sleeves might cause your feet to swell because the blood pools there. Socks apply compression to the feet as well, so there's no problem with those.

Anyhow, aside from looking like an uber-dork, I'd say they were helpful. I didn't feel as much fatigue in my feet or calves as I have on similar runs. Sure, my feet hurt a little (I did run quite a few miles), but my legs generally feel better than they have after other long runs.

It's just a single piece of anecdotal evidence, so I wouldn't take it too seriously if I were you. That said, this experience does have me thinking about wearing them for my upcoming marathon and ultra.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My friend wears them and thinks they help when she runs. I think it's worth trying!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I am prone to severe calf pains and is exacerbated by running (DOMS). The pain will linger for days. I have purchased Zensah calf sleeves which I wear in training runs and afterward. In my case, the difference is profound. My recovery time is very quick. It has made running enjoyable.

answered over 4 years ago |edited over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've worn my Zensah shins sleeves in races as well as on training runs, and sometimes post-run as well. I think they help with recovery. They feel good on too.

answered over 4 years ago |edited over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I suffered from cramp in my calfs if I went over 10 miles, tried everything, diet, vitamins the lot. About 4 months ago I bough a pair of 2xu compression sleeves and have never looked back. I think they're great, no more cramp, and calfs feel great in the morning. In short, I have been able to up my mileage and now thinking of a marathon next year. A great investment, just don't be put off by the size...they are meant to be that small!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I swear by my Zensah's for recovery! I have never run in them though. At first I bought the 2Xu compression sleeve's but I did not like them at all. Love the zensah's though.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a pair of 2XU compression calf guards and a set of 2XU compression running socks. I've work them on runs before and they help a little by helping ease the fatigue feeling, but more importantly they help more if worn after my runs.

Its nice to come home and rest on the couch with my feet up, compression socks on, and a little ice on my shins. :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running