Answers/

General Running

What nutrition other than GU do you take on your long runs/ bike rides?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

I am looking for other options other than GU. I have found that GU gets my tummy upset (not as I have to go to the bathroom but it just gets me feeling icky).

14 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Hello Isela, have you tried to take it along with plain water? However, I'm afraid that all the gels I have tested so far are rather the same. Hope this helps...

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm opposite of alot of runners. I think if you eat right before the long runs and a good meal the night before you don't need anything. But that's the opinion of only 1-runner. I have tried Gu, and Power-Gels, but only 1-summer. I found out that my runs didn't feel any diffierent than if I didn't take anything at all. Oh, I forgot I have ate a few Power-Bars at the half way point when I was doing a 20-miler. They digested great, but really I like my food after my runs.

I would say like somenoe runners in my area have told me as well as some dailymilers. Experiment with different things. Eventually you will find what works great for you. I hope this helps. God Bless....+ Jimmy J. ( =

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Gu kills my stomach as well. I've tried almost every product under the sun...Honey Stinger blocks are the only thing that don't give me an upset stomach. Of course, everyone is different, but they are certainly worth a try!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The only thing that I have found to work is the Jelly Beans. They are much easier on my stomach than the GUs (and they aren't as gross to choke down.) I also like the gummies (I think they are called blocks.) They work really well and are easy on my belly. As for drinks, water ONLY - that's my best bet. Gook luck

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You might want to try other gels or other flavors of Gu. I've been testing them on shorter runs, just to see how they affect me. Some upset my stomach and some flavors of gel frankly glue my mouth shut, even with water. Some sit fine in my stomach.

The gummi things Laura W. mentions are probably Clif Shot Blocks. The jelly bellies she references happen to be one of the things which upsets my stomach.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Isela, I have a bit of tummy trouble with the GU as well, plus the consistency is a little too weird for me. I use it....but it's not my fav. I really like Power Bar Gels - they are kinda like gummy bear consistency, and equal 1 1/2 GUs per package. Only bad thing is you have to eat like 10 of them to equal 1 GU. Not as handy to carry around, and takes forever to eat 10. But....I have zero tummy troubles with them and they come in a yummy flavors too. Try them out =)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Before every long run I have a banana and a large cup of coffee. For anything over 15 miles I use some sort of 'GU'. Some of my freinds swear by Powerbar Gel. They say it is easier on the stomach, not as thick, and has more sodium. I personally like Honey Stingers, but I've tried both of the others. 'GU' is definitely thicker than the others, but I do like the 'Espresso Love'.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I can't stand the GU, but I do like Shot BLOCKS. They taste good and don't seem to make my stomach sick like GU does.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I don't have trouble with GU but also like Cliff Shot Blocks. Something else I have tried is a Power Bar cut into small pieces. It's a little difficult to transport unless you have a fuel belt. Keep trying different things until you find what works for you. Everyone is different.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Accel gels and Shot Blocks work for me (GU gels cause me stomach problems as well).

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have a sensitive stomach. Gu's work okay for me, but for really long runs, I make a almond butter and jelly sandwich or two. I tried it on a whim when I started trail running, and was really surprised to find out it not only didn't upset my stomach, but fueled me well too!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • the blocks are pretty good, and easier on the stomach, but when i bike i try to bring real food, nothing beats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! i pack them when i bike, i pretty much only use the GU or blocks for the quick calories and electrolytes.....also i like them for the caffine. i pretty much just eat real food before i go, then in the car on my way to where ever im gonna ride, i will pound down a protien shake. that pretty much tides me over for the most part, then i have the PB&J with me on my bike, and then water. i always keep some GU just incase.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm not much for any kind of gel, as the consistency is kinda' gross and I find them messy to handle when running. I prefer beans and shot-blocks for running. I don't take any food if the run is under 12 miles or so.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • orange slices, sunflower seeds, or chocolate9's

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running