Answers/

General Running

User_avatar Deleted User

Is it ok to run everyday?

asked almost 5 years ago | Report

I'm trying to get back into running again after having a baby and I feel the need to run everyday to achieve faster results....however, i'm not too sure if running on a daily basis or at least 4 or 5 times a week is safe.

15 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Congrats on the baby!

Generally yes it is perfectly fine to run everyday. But you are just coming back from a pregnancy and your fitness won't be what you were used to. I would just advise the same as anyone else to listen to your body. If you don't feel particularly good one day then it's take a day off or find some cross-training options. I think you will be fine since you said you had previously ran, so just treat it like you've been injured for a while and start off slow and steady.

answered almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • To parrot Ron... Generally yes! I currently run nearly everyday (5K on weekdays and 10K or more on weekends). However, to back up Ron... You'll need to listen to your body... aches and pains are clues to how your body is readjusting to running. The more acute the pain the more you back off or adjust your workout. If its just a dull ache in the muscles then its likely them complaining about going back to work after a "vacation". If its something more painful or stabbing in nature... its a clue to back off a bit.

Other than that... pace yourself... get over the hump of getting your body back into running condition by keeping your dedication and you'll do fine.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use to run everyday but then I started getting injuries.now I run 5 days a week one day of cross training and one rest day

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It's fine to run every day if your body can handle it. Generally speaking though, it's also a good idea to take at least one (if not two) days off because as much as you want to run every day for faster results, the body you have wants rest so it can recover properly and run better.

Best advice I ever got is to just listen to your body. It's a tired old often repeated phrase but it's because it's true. If you can run every day with no problems, then by all means, run every day. But most bodies out there do need rest days to recoup.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • take it easy and come back slowly. Don't rush your self or else you end up injured again

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm going to disagree with everyone who has posted so far. You don't want to be injured when you have to care for a baby! You must take care of yourself so that you can take care of your baby. I'm concerned because you said that you want to run everyday to achieve faster results. You don't say how long it's been since you had your baby but you need to understand that your hips are not going to be as stable or strong as they were pre-baby. Those muscles and ligaments have been stretched a great deal for an extended period of time. Those muscles and ligaments stabilize your hips while you are running, which in turn effects your legs, knees and even ankles. My advice is to NOT run everyday right away or you will get injured. Re-strengthen your core, your butt and your hips as you ease back into running. I know you want fast results but you do not want to be hurting when caring for your baby.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think in general it is. But it's probably not okay to run hard every day. You never hear people ask if it's okay to walk every day. If you aren't running too hard, and if you are running with good, gentle form, then running every day is perfectly fine. But as others said, make sure you are listening to your body.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Speaking from an ITBand injury and messed up knees- I'd say, be careful of your body. You don't necessarily *have to* run everyday to improve your body. You could run 3 times a week, implement cross training 2 other days of the week and weight training twice a week- all of this together will achieve results. I have to say I'm with Sharon M. on this one- you should probably be careful of not doing too much too soon- this is how you end up injured. That said, it's your body, so you'll have to be the one to listen to it and decide how it feels- but you really have to listen to it, otherwise you end up injured because you didn't really hear what it was telling you. :) Happy running!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to run everyday before I got a series of injuries. Now, my favorite balance is 3 days running, 2 days cycling. :-) Helps keep things interesting AND seems to guard against further injury. :-)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I would recommend a day off from running each week. Gives your body a chance to recover. If you want to exercise on the rest day, do a walk or bike ride.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It depends on the miles and what you're used to. If you are running short distances that you are accustomed to, you can probably get away with it. However, as you increase total mileage, the miles become less forgiving. Earlier in my running life, I ran 2 to 3 miles a day, and it worked OK for me. As I started increasing my distance, I started getting little nagging injuries. I went to 6 day/week running, and I have finally settled into a 5 day/week routine that gives me enough recovery.

Workouts stress the muscles, but rest is when they rebuild even stronger. Well designed training programs alternate distance and intensity and rest. I worry about "achieve faster results." We runners can be an impatient lot, but impatience often results in injury, and it's not worth it. I've learned that lesson the hard way.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I feel it is best not to run on consecutive days, although I do this SOMETIMES myself. Much better to cross-train, though.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I found I got hurt a lot less frequently when I switched from running 15-ish miles per week spread over 3 or 4 days to the same weekly mileage spread over 7 days. My longest running streak was 110 days last year. My body seems to like short runs every day, and consistency works well with my legs.

However, when I was doing this I never ran hard. Soooo... I probably could have progressed faster if I'd been able to do that. I just seem to break down on longer runs so shorter runs is what I do.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Yep, safe as heck as long as you have the mental flexibility to back off or take a day off if you start feeling run down. Being a mom is a demanding sport and babies demand lots of energy so be prepared to either back off before you get too tired, or be forced to stop for a while if you don't back off.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hey Brenda! Congrats on the baby! I am a huge advocate of cross training. I've never done it consistantly until I started training for my first upcoming triathlon, and I have to say it's made a huge, positive impact on my running! Plus, you run less risk of injury by switching it up.

Also, just wanted to let you know there is a running moms group here on dailymile! come join us! http://www.dailymile.com/groups/657-running-moms

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running