Answers/

General Running

Rock tape, Kinesio tape.....

asked over 4 years ago | Report

Can anyone tell me anything about these? Have you used either, do they work?! I'm thinking about trying something like this for slight knee pain, but I'm skeptical.
Thanks!
Update......I've tried all & now have a little more of an opinion about this type of taping. #1, Rocktape is my favorite of the choices out there. It seems to be more flexible, stays on longer, and seems to work better. I was having knee swelling, bruising & pain. Since then I've had a shot & am running again (taping every time), but before the shot w/ RockTape, the swelling was considerably better & the bruising didn't happen AT ALL w/ the tape. Run w/out it & it was back. Has to be doing something! Their website has great videos telling you how to use it. So there's my 2 cents. Email the guys at RockTape, they'll send you a sample to try. I promise, I do not work for RockTape. LOL

17 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I haven't use them, but I did look into it a few months ago when I had some brief ITB problems. A running friend used taping (by an ART therapist) to help with a kneecap tracking problem last year, and said it really helped a LOT. You can buy the tape at Sports Authority, Dick's (I think), and maybe some drug stores.

Good luck!

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hi. ROCKTAPE is a kinesiology tape for athletes. Briefly, kinesiology tape improves blood flow and waste drainage (lymphatic fluids, etc) from areas to which it's applied. It also stimulates the skin and can help improve power output when used along kinetic chains. PT's use tape to help with rehabilitation...bodies at rest. So, we at ROCKTAPE have taken that to the next level...creating a tape for bodies in motion. We have better stretch to aid moving parts, and channels in our weave to help eliminate sweat (better adhesion). I use it on my right knee whenever I increase my training intensity or volume because I experience pain - and ROCKTAPE eliminates it. I also tape my hamstrings to keep them from cramping during long/intense rides. If you email your address I'll send you some free samples to try out: scott@rocktape.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • OK Scott. At this point I'll try anything to help my Achilles tendon. 67 more days to the LA Marathon and the pain is getting chronic. I'm a natural skeptic on everything so I'm not sold that tape improves blood flow (more than, let's say, active movement, heat, massage) or that my achilles soreness will be fixed by my lymphatic fluids (let alone whether putting tape on your skin will change your limphatic flow). But, for $15 I guess I'm willing to try it.

Do you (or your KT competition) have any real ExPhys studies or real science on this stuff? Or are you just hawkin' the next magic elixer (in cool colors and patterns :) )

I really do want to believe! But would love to see some backup. (anecdotal stories don't fly with me. )

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Can't blame you for the skepticism, I'm the same way. Yes, I can show you research, and the fact that nearly every PT and Chiro out there uses kinesiology tape with their patients. But, to me what really matters is does it work for ME. So, let's do this...email me your mailing address at scott@rocktape.com and I'll ship you some ROCKTAPE for free so you can try it out first. When you get it, hit the website www.rocktape.com and see some taping techniques to try out. For what ails you, probably look at "Runner's Knee" and "Zapper". More instructions here: http://tinyurl.com/yllp3qr

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'll take you up on your offer Scott, and will report back. Suzy, the OP was asking about knee pain. My problem (today) is my achilles, but there's always something that hurts. Thanks for replying, and feel free to include those study references!

On the bright side, I can't see where Rocktape could do any harm, and it doesn't cost very much.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have had a few experiences with Kinesio tape for ITB issues and also for an ankle injury. I had ART (active release therapy in conjunction with it). It works really well and I was able to keep running during this.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I ran today with Rock Tape on my chronic Achilles. So far, so good- but the achilles pain is intermittent. I'll buy a roll and see how it does in the long run. However, what I was most impressed with were the great quotes on the back of the tape. Here are some of my favorites:

"Pain is nothing compared to what if feels like to quit"

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender"

"It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference"

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm"

"Discipline is remembering what you want"

"Work will win when wishing won't"

So, if the Rock Tape doesn't work, at least I'll be motivated enough to ignore the pain. :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I know its generally a really bad idea to try something new during a marathon but I used the samples of tape they gave us in our packet during the WDW marathon a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to finish the race with no knee pain at all. I had run the half marathon the day before and figured I'd pay for it but really, I was fine. first time I finished a long run pain free...well, ever. So I'm a believer now. I have to look up the brand we used though -I forgot)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've got an appointment with a therapist (NMT, PT and probably a few other letters- he's a miracle worker) next week, but I happened to see him in the gym today. He's very familiar with these tapes, has been trained in their use and was encouraged to see me wearing mine. He also suggested some different taping method for my achilles than were shown in the videos.

He mentioned something else to me that made sense. These tapes are to wear continuously, for days at a time, not just during exercise. They aide healing, they don't magically fix things (Darn!).

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I can also vouch for ROCKTAPE. I don't use it that often, but in my longer runs, >10 miles, I'll tape up my legs. I've used them on longer MTB Races as well, all with good results.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Wow, this thread is very helpful!

I'm a "newbie" to running (only 4 months), and I am really enjoying it. I've already ran in a 5K and recently a 10K. My "times" weren't spectacular to what other runners get, but for me, I was excited and proud to have run the races!!

Unfortunately, the past 3 weeks, I have been having knee pain in my right knee. (ITB). Sure, resting helps a little, and my Chiropractor helped as well. However, I haven't been able to run in a week, and I'm getting really antsy!

I'm definitely going to try RockTape. Thanks for this info!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Having used both now, I can verify that RockTape IS stretchier than KT Tape. Noticeably so. Depending on how you use it, it may or may not make a difference. I guess that's a feature though.

KT Tape is stretchy. Rock Tape is stretchier.

Scott R. notes that RockTape has channels to help eliminate sweat. KT tape also has channels, but they squiggle, RT's are straight. Not sure if that difference benefits one or the other.

KT Tape comes in pre-cut lengths. Handy, as they already have rounded corners making for quick application. However, if the pre-cut length isn't the length that you want, this isn't helpful. I think I'd prefer an un-cut roll so you can cut off just the size you need. However, if you apply it in the field with no scissors around, the pre-cut roll can be pretty handy. YMMV. You can also buy pre-cut RockTape though- so +1 for RT here.

KT Tape is cheaper. $13 vs $20 for RockTape.

KT Tape comes in four colors (Black, beige, blue, pink). RockTape is available in 7: Pink, Green, Black, light blue, dark blue, biohazard, cow (funny!), orange, white, and RT logo. So, some fun options there. The Logo'ed one is $2 cheaper per roll. RT wins the color war!

Roll size and length is the same between KT and Rock.

I still have no opinion on how well either of these work. I'm trying multiple therapies for my achilles at once, so I don't know what's working and what isn't. Don't really care at this point, so long as I can keep running.

answered over 4 years ago |edited over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hey guys and gals.

Greg here from Rocktape and this is my story. I got hurt a few years ago and got taped. It really helped me recover from my injury but i noticed it also helped with general exercise recovery as well.

While i loved kinesio tape, I felt it could be better. So I started Rocktape to make a better tape and also improve the protocol or method of taping. I then went on a crusade telling people about it.

As you can imagine, everyone was pretty skeptical about how a little piece of tape might help. I finally realized that it didn't mater how much i advertised or promoted, the most effective way to help people understand was to give samples away.

So here comes the spam (i prefer offer)! Send us an email to admin at rocktape dot com and we'll let you try it for free. No scam, no money, no nothing. Totally free.

I guess the punchline is this: we believe in our product so much that we'll let our product speak for itself. If it works for you, you'll be a life-long customer and tell lots of others about us. If it doesn't work for you, than that's OK too. At least you didn't have to pay for something only to find out that it wasn't right for you.

So that's the story and the deal and I hope you all take advantage of it! (limit one per household obviously and sorry no int'l orders)

Best,
    Greg

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use it and love it for my IT band issues. You typically can pick it up at expos or Sport's Authority stores. Plenty of How To videos on YouTube too.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You have a lot of good answers here. One clarification: KT Tape is not the same as Kinesio Tex Tape. The brand name may or may not be a play on the commonly used nickname for Kinesio but it is a completely different and unrelated brand.

RockTape sounds like it has some good features that are specific to sports use but for more versatility there is nothing like the real Kinesio Tex Tape.

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It's incredible stuff. A lot of people I know that haven't used it tend to look at it as "wooo" (or fake, and just a gimmick). I love it, personally. I have impingement syndrome in my shoulder that'll flare up every 2-3 weeks, really badly, I can't move it more than 10° and it'll start slightly bruising and swelling, and the weight of my arm hurts it; I kinesio tape it and have substantially more mobility and no pain when it's not moving, I'm even able to go for a run with it! I used it on my knee the early this month too and wow, it did help take some of that pressure!

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used Rock Tape and KT tape. I think Rock Tape is better because it stays on longer. KT tape stays on for about a day, if that. I use them to support aching areas - like I'll tape a circle around my knee, or when I do marathons I also tape up my hamstrings. I find it helps.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running