Answers/

General Running

Is it ok to get a massage after running a marathon? If so, what kind? deep tissue, hot stone, normal?

asked almost 5 years ago | Report

4 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I think marathon runner should get a massage. I get a massage every month during marathon training and probably twice if I'm going over 20 miles twice in a month. My reasoning, you have just trashed your body for 26.2 miles. You need to flush all the lactic acid and bad stuff out of your muscles, which would be probably be at the surface. Light massage, light stretching, good rest, healthy food and water, will definitely get towards a speedy recovery. I know that it isn't a deep tissue, because you'd probably be in more pain after the massage than your marathon. If you go to good massage therapist and tell them that you just ran a marathon, they will know what to do

answered almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Perfectly fine to get one after a marathon, some marathons even have free massage stations set up in the post race areas. It's very good for your muscles after all the strain you just put them through. Just remember to drink plenty of water after the massage to help get rid of the toxins the massage released from the muscles.

It's up to you what kind to get, all about preference or affordability.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Absolutely it's okay! It will aid in your recovery and you will feel like a million bucks! The type you get is your choice, just make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing. My suggestion would be to get the massage after the marathon and not the day before. In my experience, and getting feedback from clients, getting a massage and then working out 1. ruins the effects of the massage, and 2. kills your workout. Also make sure you do your research on the massage therapist you choose! All are not created equal.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you regularly get a massage (twice a month or more) then it'll be great, even if it's a new therapist. But if you hardly ever get a massage it can mess you up, especially if they do deep tissue (any good therapist wouldn't go really deep on an unknown patient anyway). Never get a massage before an event when you're not use to it as well as, it be like going to the gym and lifting heavy weights when you haven't been to the gym for a long time before a race......it just doesn't work.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running