Answers/

General Running

Why do my ankles pop when starting a run?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

Even if I warm-up and stretch before running (I usually walk for 5-10 minutes) My ankles tend to do this goofy thing. Both of them will pop several times and it is painful. Not painful enough to stop running but like a sharp pain that makes me wobble and stagger a few seconds shouting obscenities. Then they stop and I'm perfectly fine. It doesn't happen each time I go out but I would like to know why they do this? Is this normal? I'm wearing old shoes that will be replaced on Monday the 27th so before anyone asks :-)

2 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I can't answer the why, but my ankles do that too. I think it's just because they're a little stiff, even if they are stretched out, and they are loosening up.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think it is the muscle were not strong enough to hold the joints in place. I am slow to warm up person, it would take me at least 15 min to warm up. The 1st hour of my runs are just warm ups. If you are like me, you may need more than 10 minutes to warm up. I suggest to do calf raises at night while you are watching TV. ( If you do not have school or work to go to) Do not stretch after your exercise as your muscle would be even weaker at that point. Only stretch after a warm shower, whence your muscles are warm but strong; great time to stretch. Do not stretch when you are cold. Keep this up for 2 weeks, you will see the big improvement.
    I have small and bony joints, above are my personal experiences.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running