Answers/

General Running

Running watch

asked almost 2 years ago | Report

When you all do your long runs or any run..Do you run nonstop, or do you stop and pause/rest? If so do you pause your watch or just let the time keep going? Just wondering.

9 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I normally run nonstop, but if I stop for a few moments to get water or something, I pause the watch.

answered almost 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I do 10 and 1's (run for ten minutes, walk for one) and I let my watch run throughout my walk break. I do 10 and 1's when I race, so it only makes sense to keep the watch going when I'm training. BUT, I do pause for traffic lights.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I always pause the watch if I stop for traffic lights or refuel.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I pause it when I stop for a traffic light or other barrier, but not when I walk -- I figure that's part of the overall workout...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If the stop is out of my control (crossing road, etc.) then I pause, if not (walk break) I keep it going.

Most running watches (Garmin definately) will auto pause for you if you stop moving, although I dont use this feature.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I will stop the watch if I am timing a run and stop and want a precise time...otherwise, for most of my runs, I only stop it if I run into a friend, or want to take a few more moments to watch some animal or bird and wind up chatting for over a minute!!!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When I first started training I was prettly religous about running non-stop. Then I started running with a group that would stop for water for a minute or two every four miles. It didn't hurt my training at all.

I have my GPS watch set to "autopause" when I walk or stop. This keeps me from feeling the urge to run into traffic instead of waiting for a light.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I try to balance tracking my runs with some good data against not obsessing about it. In the past, I've paused my watch (or at least made the rest breaks a split), but lately I've thought that if I'm trying to progress toward improved race times, any breaks in longer races I run will of course add to my total time, so why not include those rest breaks in my training times?

Especially if you track the rest times as splits....that way you have data both ways. You can look at the total run time or you can subtract out the splits if you want to see an actual average pace wile running.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I run non stop unless stopped by traffic lights. At that point I pause my watch.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running