Answers/

General Running

Muscle loss

asked almost 2 years ago | Report

Hi DM family,

I recently completed a 10 k (May) and shortly afterwards people began commenting on my weight loss. I didn't think anything of it until more and more people starting to say that look like I had lost muscle. I ended up losing about 8 pounds from the time I started training for the 10 k. Is there a way to counter balance muscle loss or is it inevitable? I really enjoyed training for the 10, but I'm worried about losing too much weight if I were to do another race.

Thanks

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Check your protein intake would be my first guess. There's a number of shakes and supplements that can help with retaining muscle too. (Talk to your doc.)

answered almost 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Running will cause weight loss and, yes, it can cause muscle loss, if you don't eat properly. I am not sure what other training you are currently doing (assuming you are doing weights do to the muscle loss comment) but consider taking a look at calories in versus calories burnt in exercise. You most likely need to add more calories to your diet. As Marsi said, protein is a good place to start, especially post workout. Also, talk with your doctor. They should be able to help you get weight loss and muscle loss in check.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • In order to maintain muscle, you need to eat enough protein, enough CALORIES, and it's also not a bad idea to do some strength training, nothing hard, just enough to maintain what you already have.

Search for Scooby1961 on youtube to see a 51 year old bodybuilder who does a LOT of endurance training ( just completed a 200 mile bike race and a half ironman ) yet still maintains his bodybuilding physique.

Also, google "scooby's workshop" for his website, all free, honest information rather than hype, and paying anything.

Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • everyone hit it on the head. more protein is the most important thing. after a hard run, don't be afraid to add carbs with your protein too. the muscle will readily take them and they help build muscle too.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If all of your runs are at about the same pace, you are more likely to lose muscle. Running a variety of workouts, making sure some include some interval training or sprints, will help prevent muscle loss.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running