Answers/

General Running

What do you do for shin splints?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

I think I know the answer... but curious about what other runners that are trying to train in the weeks leading up to a race actually do when they feel shin splints sneaking up.

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • The short and best answer is to stop running and do some cross training instead, at least for a few days.

Failing that, drop mileage down (call it an extended taper!), run on softer surfaces only as much as possible, ice, take NSAIDS.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Take a rest from running for a couple days.
    Swim to keep up the training if you can and Ice your shins! :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Do you want the short term or long term answer? Short term, RICE and K-tape when you do run. Long term, correct whatever is going on with your form or training plan so they don't happen. Shin splints tend to either be caused from a heavy heel strike or doing too much too soon.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Foam roller - calf stretches - pray it doesn't get real bad!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Compression socks!!! I've had shin splints for the last 2 months...killer shin splints...just got compression socks and after a week..gone! I do ice 2x's daily and right after a run but I swear by these socks! Good luck!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I use to get shin splints pretty bad. Went and changed my shoes and shin splints went bye bye just like that. Did you get fitted for you shoes?

http://runnerdude77.blogspot.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running