Answers/

General Running

Energy For 10 Mile Run - Help!?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

Hi,

I've been running since February 2011. I weighed about 280 lbs and now weigh about 240 lbs. Two months ago my knee started hurting a little after my runs so i decided to start cross training. About a month ago I started running on Mondays, Spin class on Wednesday, and Swimming on Fridays.

I excel at swimming! This last Thursday i swam 5300 yards!

A few weeks ago I had a great day and ran 10 miles without too much effort. I do not excel at running, so this was good! Since then though I haven't been able to get back to it. I am completely out of energy by the time i get to 8 miles even if i slow down.

So my question is, what should i be eating/drinking before my runs and during? I usually get up at about 3:45am and am at the gym by 4:30am. I run on the treadmill at about 5.5 mph...

Thanks for your help!

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • usually for runs over an hour you have to start taking in calories to keep fueling the machine. look at gels or sports drink to fuel on your long runs. I usually try to eat something light before a long run yogurt or bagel to fuel up before hand nothing crazy but keep it simple so it's easy to digest.

be careful starting out too much too soon may overwhelm your body and lead to an injury. 10miles a is a huge run and you did awesome just be careful you're not overdoing it

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Great job Jay! I'm new to long runs as well, and have found having a Clif Bar to nibble on does the trick for me. I've tried a Stinger Waffle as well, and liked it, but because of its sweetness it probably wouldn't be for everyone.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Like the two previous guys said, you need something during the run as well. If i'm cycling or running... if I go over an hour I take something with me. Lately it's been jelly beans. I've used those prepackaged jams from restaurants before too. Cliff bars and energy drinks are fine, but they're expensive.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Over an hour- and I drink sports drinks. Gatorade and the mixes. More than 1-1/2 hours or so, and I start packing gels. Actually, I like Cliff Shot Blocks because my hands don't get all sticky like they do from the gel packs.

Before longer runs- I like to have a little breakfast. Something really easy to digest- like a banana and/or yogurt perhaps 1/2 hour prior to the run. If not, I'll definitely be getting hungry by 8-10miles.

nice yardage on the swim! Triathlete in the making.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Definitely good advice already. Remember all the times and distances for when you need calories and electrolytes (sports drink) are estimates and should be adjusted for your body. On a cool day, I can go an hour on just water, 90 min on water with electrolytes, and add gels for my longest runs, which I now have two that have gone over two hours. Experiment with what drink, foods, etc work best with you body. Also, congratulation on getting to the point this is an issue.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I like to bring along a plastic baggie with raisins, they are easy to eat, don't require a drink, and work great for me. Gels work too but they get kind of gooey. Also, you might try stopping half way for just a minute or two, sometimes a little rest makes a big difference.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running