Answers/

General Running

I wanna be a barefooter, but every time i run i get really bad blisters. Any advice?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

8 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I've also just started. I am running in Merrell Pace Gloves and after leaving the socks at home and adjusting my laces, I've not gotten any blisters. I hope that helps!

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • why?
    why do you want to use barefoot shoes or no shoes?
    to a traditionalist like me, it just screams injury & complications.
    IF you insist on going down that road, just know it needs to be a long term transition.
    too drastic a change in your form may result in other injuries, depending on how your body tries to compensate for the change.
    keep me posted?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Are you wearing minimalist shoes? If so, you might have too large a size. For me, since my feet aren't really the same size and don't fit well in say Vibrams, toe socks and petroleum jelly are my best friends for combating blisters.

answered over 2 years ago |edited over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I run barefoot, meaning no Vibram FiveFingers, skin to ground. If you are running barefoot and getting blisters you are probably pushing off instead of lifting your foot. Take it slow and listen to your body, it takes time to adapt.

answered over 2 years ago |edited over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just started with the Merrell Pace Gloves as well and I got some major blisters the first time out. I have to wear socks. Which seems counter-intuitive with a "barefoot" shoe, but the socks stopped the blisters immediately, so I'm just gonna go with it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Well I don't run barefoot, but I do run minimalist-style. I just run in a cheap pair of swimming/water shoes from Wal-mart with socks and they work great for me! =)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • my advice is to give a little more information if you want good advice.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • For me, I had to change my stride and foot landing and the hardest part my change my thinking. After two years I continue to work on those changes. Old habits die hard too. This morning's four mile BF run I focused on trying to silence my foot landing. BF running proved to me to be more strenuous because of the effort to have a softer foot landing. Because of that, I haven't had any blisters in several months. My pace is slow increasing. I try not to hurry it. I'm enjoying running now a lot more since I've included BF. When feet are too sensitive, I'll run wearing VFFs. I just love the sensation of running barefoot.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running