Answers/

General Running

Any tips for a first time marathoner?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

Just started training for my first marathon in November in Portland. Have any quick tips for me??

12 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Having not long finished my first. Stick to a training plan. Make sure anything you wear or eat on your marathon you have tried in training. Most of all enjoy it.
    Good luck.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Stick to your training plan as closely as possible. however life does get in the way so if you need to miss a workout don't stress about it. However, you should not skip your long run. Move it to another day if you need to, but get that one in. Who's plan are you using?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Stick to a plan. Find others to run with a few times a week. Definitely do not miss the long runs! Run at different places so you don't get bored of the same old place all the time. Make sure you are having FUN!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • congrats! listen to your body. I was so regimented with the training plan for my first that I never passed on a day's running regardless of how I felt. After the 5th I now listen to it a lot more. Missing a workout or waiting until the next day won't impact your training. make sure you have good running shoes that support the way your body runs. Find a massage therapist in your area and use him/her several times on your legs as you get into the long runs before you taper. Having someone work on the legs is heaven! Remember there will be good days and bad days and not beat yourself up. try and train with a group or make sure to have running buddies. They are so important! best of luck with it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • As long as you cross the finnish line its a PB! Just take your time and finnish your training will take you there! just enjoy the experience!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Vaseline and plenty of it :-)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Training plan should incorporate a few spots where you can do a trial race such as a 10k or even a half marathon along the way. If you get a chance, do one or both of these as your training progresses and on days that have you doing a long run. It'll give you a good feel as to what might work and what might not for your marathon.
    You'll need nutrition and hydration all along the race so time to start training with these is as soon as you're running over 8ks or 5 miles. Also, what you wear will be important too. What is comfy for others might not be for you. Also, buy some good lubricant for under the arms and wherever chaffing might happen. Chaffing even happens in the winter. Been there, done that!
    As someone mentioned, it will be your first and a PB, so finishing is the maine goal. Enjoy!
    :+)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • First time - enjoy the experience. Train by one of the Hal Hignon schedules. Most important - race with a pace team.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Yeah I done my first marathon this year, some say just run it and enjoy it. I gave myself a goal it helps you keep focused when you start doing them really long miles in training. Stick to a training plan and tick off them weeks, and you will start to get excitied about it.
    Try to keep to same routine before you run.

i.e I have same breakfast 2 hours before I run so that energy is in my system by time I run.
    Run with a hand held bottle or belt so you always got fluid with you.

Above all enjoy it .

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Make sure you get a 20 mile run in. Hal Higdon's site is good for training programs. Make sure to taper for 2-3 weeks before the marathon

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It's not about running 26.2 miles. It's about running 600 miles in the 4 months prior. If you ramp up your mileage carefully and get it over 40mpw, you're set.

secondly- if your plan has speed work in it, that's fine. But if you find that the speed work is leaving you fatigued, injured or making it difficult to hit the next day's run... cut the speed work (or do it at a slower speed).

The speed work will help raise your threshold, but your first goal is to make it to the starting line healthy. Better to run 26mile a minute or two slower, than not make the starting line due to injury.

Long runs... do them slower than you think you should. You almost cannot run your long runs slowly enough.

have fun. it's an incredible experience.

for every second per mile you go out too fast in your first miles... take 2 seconds off your last miles.

those last few miles are gonna' hurt. ignore the pain. ignore the desire to walk. your body is much stronger than you think it is. Run through that finish line with your arms held high and a smile on your face as you're now a 'marathoner'.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • When you get tired and your mind says to walk... remember... this is not work, it is fun!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running