Answers/

General Running

Can running in the rain make you sick?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

9 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Short answer is no, but you must change into dry warm clothing as soon as you finish & a warm drink will help.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • No. That's an old wive's tale. Dress appropriately- of course.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Another "no." I'd recommend getting dry as soon as you finish though.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • illness comes from catching a virus, not being out in the rain or cold or any other weather condition. I will say though that if you have a cold or infection you may end up with pneumonia or bronchitis so be smart, if you're sick you could get sicker but if you aren't....well go for it, I do and I love it. Everyone else is right too, dress accordingly and get dry when you are done

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I was illness-free 2 weeks ago. I ran 6 miles in freezing rain during which I had to stop frequently to mess around with running gear. I had a rain-proof shell on, but my sweat and the resulting chill left me shivering. The next day I had a sore throat and burning chest when coughing. Over the next 2 weeks, it evolved into a peroxide flavored cough, then into a sinus infection for which I am now on antibiotics and other stuff to open and clear out the sinuses. I think the stress on my body from the bone-chilling run lowered my immunity enough that something took hold and grew inside me. From now on, I will not run in freezing rain. If it's in the 60s or higher and raining, then I will be out there!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My Answer Is NO!!! This is my own story > It seems when I was running alot more serious back in the day, and running all the time in any kind of weather I never got sick. It's when I quit for some time, and got out of shape that I started feeling a little sluggish, got Bronchitis, and such.

I always ran whatever the weather was, and never got sick. But that's just me.
    God Bless..+ Jimmy. ( =

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • "There is nothing like bad weather for running, there is only bad dressed runner."

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Only if you lick a germ while running :)

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just ran a half in the pouring rain. It felt good and kept me cool. As soon as I was done though. I took my shirt off and put a dry one on and a warm up jacket, and took off my socks and shoes put on flip flops.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running