Answers/

General Running

Eating before morning runs

asked over 2 years ago | Report

It's not really a run, maybe like a 6 mile jog, at 10m/mile pace. anyway, i've tried to eat a small breakfast to give me energy, but it really slows me down and makes me feel sick. The burning hunger I feel is actually better than thqr weird feeling in my stomach if I eat, and it makes me push harder. all I have is a cup of coffee before I run. Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, similar issues?

15 answers

scroll to bottom
  • What do you eat before you run?

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'd also like to know what you tried eating before running. I have to eat before I run if I go after 6am and especially if I go more than 3 miles. Normally I stick with 1 package of instant oatmeal (yes I know it's sugary, I like it). I've tried toast with peanut butter, or a half a bagel with peanut butter, but that is just too much for me. Also, if I eat too close to a run I don't feel well. Lately I've found that about 2 hours is pretty good. Tonight I had a meal replacement smoothy about 3 hours before my run and that was perfect. Everyone is different though, so you may need to try different things.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Clif bars are my morning run staple. However I can eat pretty much anything before (or during) a run. You could also try another calorie source like G1 or a Gu. Also, don't sell yourself short. 6 mi is a good RUN no matter what the pace and running for an hour is nothing to sneeze at.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I do my weekday Morning runs on a cup of coffee before i start, and some water during the run. Ill run anywhere upto about 15-16 miles like that. When i get home i shower than sit down to a good sized breakfast with plenty of carbs.

For my weekend long run i do like to have a bowl of oatmeal before the run... usually ill wake up early make and eat breakfast then head back to bed for a couple of hours.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'm with Paul on this one. I get up early, and pretty much try to get out the door ASAP to get my run over and done. I'm not going as far/long as you are, but if I eat too soon before I run it'd make me feel ill too. Once I get home, I stretch, shower, and eat something. Usually just some juice and cereal, then I'll have a mid-morning snack at work before lunch.

If I do go for a longer run, somewhere well over the hour mark, I'll try to eat about an hour before I have to go. Again, nothing big. Some cereal and juice. Then I'll take Clif Shots while running about once an hour.

Good luck finding something that works well for you.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • There is a pattern here as I agree with Paul and Ben (kind of like the town hall meeting in the movie "Blazing Saddles"). At most, i will eat a bananna on weekday runs, but most of the time if the run is under 12 miles, i won't eat anythng. before my long weekend runs, i will eat toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit or a cliff bar and wash it down with water or Gatorade. The key is to eat as soon as possible after the long run. make sure you add some protien to those carbs which will assist in your recovery.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Ben
    Ben Sendmail

I know the feeling.

I try to eat something lite about an hour before a run in the morning like a cereal bar or a piece of toast.

The thing is it's personal really and the best thing to do is to experiment and try different things. try foods, gels and sweeties, anything that might work for you

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I hear ya.. I ate half a plain bagel before my long run and suffered. Clif Bars for me work well and GU Chomps.. You'll have to experiment. Good luck!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I always attempt to eat something small before I go run. The burning hunger that you experience always effects me except it makes me feel really sick.

Roughly an hour before I go run I'll eat some oatmeal and drink water. That way I can give my stomach a little bit of time to settle down.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to run mornings before my work schedule changed. What worked for me were breakfast drinks. Good luck. Chris Kelley - Framingham

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Me personally it's simple. I wake up 30mins b4 I go out to run. I immediately begin take sips of water to stay hydrated normally 8oz. Then I spend time getting ready, stretching. I eat after the run.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I dont eat at all before a morning run

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I always run first thing in the morning. I run between 6 and 12 miles depending on the day etc. Maybe I have a drink of water maybe not but I don't eat anything and I always have the energy to finish my run.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Ted
    Ted Sendmail

I will only eat if I have at least 2 or 3 hours before the run or race, then I would have some oatmeal. Otherwise nothing or water.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Two answers:

1. If your breakfast is feeling like its weighing you down then you're either eating too much or something really hard to digest. At least that;s my experience. I find I generally do better if I've eaten recently before a run, whether its 5K or 20K.

2. Everyone's metabolism is different and as you progress in your running your body will change... The net-net of this is, if not eating before a run works for you then that's the way to do it. Early on in my running eating just before a run used to given me problems... now three/four years later... its the opposite.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running