Answers/

General Running

Any suggestions for a San Diego coastal run?

asked over 5 years ago | Report

Sorry to be so very location-specific, but I've got an 18-miler coming up next weekend and I just cannot face the thought of running around suburbia for that long. Anyone have a fave run with an ocean view?

Thanks much,

Amy

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • got to this web site to see sd area runs

www.mapmyrun.com type in san diego

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I have plenty to recommend!

Here's a listing of a lot of coastal runs of various lengths:

http://sdtc.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/routes-map.htm

The one I'd recommend since you live in North County is the 16-mile train run. You park at either Solana Beach or Oceanside and run to the other train station (it's easier to run Oceanside to SB). Park in SB and take the train to Oceanside, or vice versa. You can tack on two miles by running down the coastal highway another mile and back. Highly recommend it, Amy!

answered over 5 years ago |edited over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • In Carlsbad, if you start at Carlsbad Village Drive & Ocean Ave and go south on 101 to Encinitas Blvd., I think that's about 9 miles or so. While it's on 101, it's on the beach a lot of the way.

Another suggestion is to start at Encinitas Blvd and follow 101 all the way to Torrey Pines Beach (extra credit if you go up that hill)!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I don't know San Diego but did run the R & R San Diego marathon a couple of years back. Why not grab the map of that and pick yourself 18 miles of it? Seems we started near downtown, went through some neighborhoods, some ocean views, harbor views, Petco Park, etc.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Drive your car to the Solana Beach train station and take the train to Oceanside. Run back to your car = 16 miles. Run 1 mile further than your car and back = 2 miles. Viola! 18 miles, ALL coastal.
    This is one of my FAV San Diego runs. If my long runs did not SUCK like they have lately, I would love to join you.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My favorite is around Mission Bay, which is 14, incorporating 1 loop around Fiesta Island (extra 4). You can use Map my Run and see one we have routed out. Any areas on Green are bike paths that aren't showing up:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/ca/san%20diego/348123920971632234

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running