Answers/

General Running

User_avatar Deleted User

Bruised toe nails

asked about 3 years ago | Report

So I finally decided to give myself a pedicure because I am WAAAAAYYY to embarressed to go get one done.(this Running stuff has really done a number to my feet). Anyways I noticed I have TWO bruised toe nails They are not compleatly bruised one is just a tiny spot the other is half bruised. Do they ALWAYS fall off if they are bruised or will it just hopefully grow out.

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • OMG...I have my first one after my 16 miler...my second toe is light purple and a tad sore! I hope someone can answer if there is a difference between a black, blue or purple toenail! I was going to polish...but I think it will drive me nuts not seeing the progress...like if it is getting better or worse? I really don't want it to fall off....uuughhh...they will be trim the night before all long runs and I keep them short!

answered about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Just a tip that I got and I think may have kept me in the clear so far for no black nails - trim but also file so you don't have any rough edges to snag. Nails may be short but if they snag on your sock you could wind up with the same end result.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • So... speaking from personal experience:

If its purple or black in whole or mostly then its likely going to fall off and will grow back after a while (it took my 2nd toe about 2.5 to 3 months to come back to pre bruising state.)

If its only partially purple or black then it may stay attached or will only partially come off ( I had this happen to a big toe nail where the bruise was to the right hand corner of the nail. the bruised area under the nail detached and I had to cut it back. Again, it grew back.

As to growing back... the toe that has suffered the worst of the assaults of running has lost a toenail, grew back a nearly normal toenail after about 5 months, only to become bruised yet again in my last half marathon training run. As to how long growing back should take, you'll need to gauge based on your own growth rates.

So, the short answer is... The more purple/black there is, the more likely you are to lose the nail. Additionally, the closer the bruised area is to the edge of the nail, the more likely you are to get an edge detachment that may require some trimming to prevent problems.

Now, as to getting a pedicure... Being one who both enjoys such bits of pampering and routinely gets a pedicure (no color though the nail techs love to tell me to "pick my color"), my advice is... The nail tech's don't judge. They'll do what needs to be done to make it look good and if it comes off they'll keep the area clean. So, if you enjoy a pedicure... keep going. Also, if the purple/black color bothers you and the nail is firmly attached... then a nice bit of nail polish on that toe could be just the thing you need to not be bothered by it. (For the record... the pedicure thing started as a bit of pampering I treated my wife to.... then one visit the techs sat me down and did a pedicure/manicure for me as well at my wife's insistence. From there I was hooked.)

That's my "pedicure enjoying guy" perspective on it.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • This is very common, I think. I lost 3 toenails in 2 months when I started upping my mileage. Since switching to http://www.injinji.com/ socks I have had no problems. I usually put some Desitin between my toes for extra protection too.
    Since I live on an island I try to take a walk in the sand evry chance I get for maintenance, no need for pedicure for me!

answered about 3 years ago |edited about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Bo's answer is consistent with my experience as well. Toenails are for wimps.

Actually- after a few years of running, keeping my nails clipped short, and changing shoes- I don't seem to get them anymore.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running