Answers/

General Running

What's the best way to count laps?

asked over 5 years ago | Report

My mind tends to wander when I'm running on a track and I have some distance runs to do and I'm concerned about keeping track of my laps (I have a 10 mile run on Sunday = 55 laps). What's the best way to keep count of laps?

14 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Do you have to do your running on the track or can you map the 10miles around town?

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you get a watch that has a lap counter that would be the easiest way. Ironman watches typically have that option available. The one I own can count up to 99 laps. I have to agree with everyone else that has commented running long runs on the track is mind numbing. Going out on the road is much easier!

answered over 5 years ago |edited over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I couldn't even imagine running 10 miles on a track. More power to you!
    Like the others said, have you not tried mapping these out in town? If you are training for a race, chances are it's not going to be on a track. It's going to be best if you do your longer runs on the street to get used to those conditions. Uneven roads, hills and asphalt are all things you're going to encounter come race day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • run out side......seriously. 10 miles on a track is going to be awful. I think Fitness Sports in Des Moines has lap counters and Jax out west in Ames might have one too.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The only time I use the track is speed workouts. We may do up to 7-7.5 miles but they go fast. we have no trouble counting. we want to get it over with when it is hard. I also have a Garmin so I know my miles. The only thing is the further out on the track I run the less accurate it gets in terms of 4 laps=1 mile.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I'd agree with others and say just run outside. If you can't or won't then you could go by time. Use your average pace (thank you dailymile!) x 10mi = amount of time to run for and use that rather than count laps.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • ew - 55 laps?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i did seven miles on a track and my ankle hurt for a week after words i dont think its a good idea to run that far on a track but if you have to good luck .any sports store will have some kind of a counter and watchs have lap timers

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You can always run around ur campus or the city. U can measure the distance later by measurin it on google maps, in case u r not a GPSie... Its much more fun. Unless of course, u r training for an event that'll be held on track.

If u really still badly wanna do it, here's one simple (yet weird) way. U can carry a ball pen along (or a permanent marker even, clip it onto ur shirt in some non obtrusive place) and put tally marks on ur palm. thats the only easy non-techie way i can think of right now

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My stopwatch has a lap split function. If I'm unsure of which lap I'm on, I look at my stopwatch. It keeps track for me, so I can focus on running real slow and thinking of things to call myself if I post a really terrible time. Or, so I can focus on how dramatically I'll cross the finish line with my arms in the air and yell "YEAH, BABY!"

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Try using Mapmyrun.com....you can map out a 10 mile route for yourself before you head out the door!
    Follow that course and you will put in the mileage without having to count anything out. Good Luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Got rob your local bouncer and take the door counter they use to keep a tab a capacity county at the local speakeasy.

What sort of track are you running on where 10 miles = 55 laps? Is this indoors? Wow. Mentally weak you are not.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • One more thing to consider (for everyone) when running long on the track is to make sure you switch the direction you're running every mile. It's really bad for your legs (especially your IT Band) to keep making turns in the same direction, especially for the inside leg. This actually goes for off the track too - make sure you switch your routes up by doing the backwards sometimes, as always turning in the same direction is bad.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • First, watches are the best way to keep track of laps. Just hit the split button every time you finish. Second, I agree with everyone who says to run on the streets or around town. There is a great site www.usatf.com which gives you a satellite image of your area and then its just a simple point and click to map your route. Third, if you need to do 55 laps on the track to run 10 miles, your track may be a little short. The average track is 400m long on the inside track so 40 laps would give you 10 metric miles and about 41 laps would give you 10 miles.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running