Answers/

General Running

How do I get rid of the pain in my calves?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

I am a newbie runner, but have been playing sports all my life. I can jog/run for about a minute to 1.5 minutes before my calves cramp up so bad I cannot run anymore. This is relieved when I walk for about a minute and when I run again, it returns. This does not happen when I sprint, for eg. when I play soccer. Any suggestions on how to relieve this?

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • here are some calf stretches
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/toolscontent/0,7156,s6-241-287--8969-0,00.html?toolName=What Hurts?

hope they help. what sort of shoes are you running in?

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Are you drinking enough water? I'm more likely to cramp if I don't drink plenty.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • sounds like you're running in a way that you calves are not used to. It's possible that you don't have a problem other than your calves are in good shape for sports- but not for endurance running.

Give it time, keep at it.
    Stretch'm, massage them, warmth (rather than cold) is good for muscle cramps.

Could be electrolyte imbalance. Try a banana or some gatorade.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Form could be a factor too. If you hinge forward slightly at the hip (while keeping your back aligned) it can help take some of the pressure of your joints and make life easier on your calves. I had a lot of calf soreness before I adjusted my form.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Working more potassium into my diet helped me. You could give it a try. But my cramps weren't relieved by walk breaks; if anything, walk breaks made mine worse. Still, a few bananas or cups of yogurt aren't going to hurt anything. :) Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • stretch them out through out the day, do a down dog pose for atleast 30 seconds or more

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - General Running