Forums/

General Health

Do I need to worry about elevation difference?

posted about 2 years ago | Report

The elevation where I live is 2077 ft. I am training for my first marathon, which will take place at an elevation of 3950 ft. Is this an elevation difference I need to worry about? I just have no clue. A friend was asking me about it and it hadn't occurred to me to even consider it. I have pretty low blood pressure in general, if that makes a difference...

• With you almost doubling your elevation, I believe you will find it a bit harder to breath. However, with good conditioning (which you'll obviously have if you're about to run a marathon), you might barely notice it.

posted about 2 years ago

• Here is a nifty calculator for O2 concentrations at different altitudes:
    http://www.altitude.org/air_pressure.php
    Plugging in your values, it doesn't look like you should have too many problems.

posted about 2 years ago

• I moved my comment to my profile page

posted about 2 years ago | edited about 2 years ago

• I cannot speak to the low blood pressure issue other than to say I do discuss these issues with my doctor, who also runs. I live and train about 5 ft above sea level and have run the Leadville 100 twice with no altitude problems. My suggestion is to not worry about it. Its your first marathon. Are you trying to win? Screw it. Finish your training, run your marathon, and have a good time.

posted about 2 years ago

• Thanks so much, guys! I guess I just won't stress about it too much. I'll run it past my doctor for safe measure, but other than that I'm going to focus on having fun. :)

posted about 2 years ago

• Do not worry about things you cannot do anything about :)

posted almost 2 years ago