Forums/

General Health

Whey Protein Isolate and Upset Stomach

posted almost 3 years ago | Report

I have tried several different kinds of whey protein mixes in the past and have now found one in which the only ingredients are: Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate and less than 1% Soy Lecithin.

HOWEVER, as in the past, after I drink the protein shake (I made this one with water + 2 scoops of whey protein isolate + 1/2 banana + 1 tbsp nut butter), my stomach felt gassy and I felt kind of queasy. This all happened within 30 minutes of consuming the protein shake; and I consumed the protein shake within 1 hour of getting back from a moderately difficult run.

I know that I'm not lactose intolerant, so what is going on? I've tried to do research on this, but nothing comes up with any answers to my specific problem...especially since I'm using whey protein isolate and am NOT lactose intolerant.

Help! Am I doomed to simply not being able to drink protein shakes, yet I can eat an entire tub of organic Greek yogurt? lol

• Hi Janelle,
    Are you electric blending the shake (I assume so)? This is going to introduce air into the thick drink and that will cause your symptoms. I have been taking a very similiar whey protein isolate and just stirring it into cold water. It is not too tasty, but OK on the stomach!
    Brian

posted almost 3 years ago