Answers/

General Health

What kind of exercises can you do when you've sprained your ankle? And how soon before you can start working out again?

asked over 4 years ago | Report

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I recently hurt my Achilles Tendon and was out of it for several weeks. The best thing I did was 1) allow it to rest completely and 2) do an upper body workout on every day I normally exercise. This allowed my foot to heal while keeping me in the habit of exercising.

Since I started running last November, I've never missed a workout yet. I believe momentum is the key, which is why I'd encourage you to let it heal as long as it needs, but keep doing some kind of exercise, so you don't get used to "not" exercising.

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I severely sprained my ankle when I was a rugby player, and 8 weeks later, I reinjured it. Here is my take: 1) make sure it's completely rested, 2) do cross training, don't push yourself on a bicycle or when you swim at first, when you get stronger you can push a little more, 3) make sure you do a ice/heat regiment until you're completely painless and 4) don't skimp out on general physical therapy.

Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Deep water pool running they use it for stress fractures in the foot so it makes sense for a sprained ankle. Upper body weights, core work..just non weight bearing things while it heals.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • ankle sprains can vary greatly in recovery time. If severe, it can be 2 months or more. Fortunately- your body will give you feedback as to when you're doing something to it that it doesn't like. i.e. PAIN. So, let your body be your guid and don't try to work through pain, as you would a sore muscle, but keep it moving as best you can with cross training. Blood flow will help healing, once the trauma part has subsided.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Regular old swimming as well as pool running... and how long til you can start to work out again is of course, up to your physician....

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Sit ups push ups squats maybe.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - General Health