Answers/

General Health

Is it healthy to run while sick?

asked almost 6 years ago | Report

Kelly's latest workout got me thinking, is it healthy to run while sick? I have done some research online, and have found what appears to be a consensus that exercising with nausea or a fever is generally a bad idea, while exercising through other symptoms may be actually beneficial in certain circumstances?

8 answers

scroll to bottom
  • i feel like i have run colds out of my body. not intensive speedy runs, but, based on my own experience, i've gotten a lot better a lot faster just by going out and putting in a couple hours of nice slow running.

answered almost 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • In general what I have heard as a basic rule is: If it is above the shoulders (stuff nose, head, throat) you're good to run, just take it a little easier. If it is below the shoulders (chest congestion, etc) take the day off.

answered almost 6 years ago |edited almost 6 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've heard exactly what Sam's heard. Also, pay attention to your body if you're running when you're under the weather. I can remember several runs where I went out, ran a mile, felt awful, and walked home. Other times the running has worked in my favor.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I go by the rule of always listening to your body. The sniffles shouldn't keep you from a workout as long as you feel up for it, but I would say rest is the best when you are feeling low. When you are sick, your body is telling you something is wrong.

Also, exercise boosts endorphin levels, but high levels of endorphins are bad for you if you are trying to repair your immune system. Running while you have a fever isn't a great idea either, due to the raise in body temperature your heart is already working harder.

Some people say that it's good to sweat out a cold, while it may make you feel better temporarily, it's impossible to sweat out germs.

Other than that, at your first sign of symptoms, gulp down a few doses of Echinacea and pray :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I will run with a cold if I can breath through my nose still. If my body is achy though I don't. And nausea? No way! lol Fever? I would't recommend that either. But yes, I've ran with sore throats and colds if my nose is cooperating. Just take a tissue....

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i agree with the consensus. below the shoulders, no. and whatever you do, don't try to run through bronchitis. hurts like hell and does you little to no good.

answered over 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • since I have a cold right now, sore throat, weasy chest, coughing, achy joints and feels like at least a low grade fever.......I am gong to say that I shouldn't attempt to workout. Rather, preserve my energy for my body to heal itself.

I hope to at least run and swim tomorrow....we shall see.

Thanks for this discussion post...it helped me. Liza :)

answered almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • If you are sick and decide to run, you may not be giving your body the full recovery time it needs. I'm not a doctor or a dietician, but sometimes our body just needs extra rest rather than being so active. It's tough when were so into our healthy, active lifestyles to just give it a few days and not do anything. I've found that if I'm sick, and do work out, I only feel worse after. You'd think it would do the opposite and make me feel better, but it doesn't.

answered almost 5 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - General Health