Answers/

General Health

Why do I get so many colds?

asked over 3 years ago | Report

I've just gotten my 4rth cold in as many months. I have a really healthy diet. No, really. My one vice is chocolate but even then, it's a few bites and that's it. I love veggies, fruit, cheese and prefer chicken & salmon over other sources of meat protein. I eat oatmeal every morning and max 2 cups of black coffee. I love to cook/bake and seldom use or buy processed foods. I find I've been getting colds (and a fever flu last month) more often as I've been exercising more consistently. I've taken multi-vitamins before but didn't see a difference. Any thoughts?

8 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Im not sure (not a doctor) It could be that you are exercising too much during your colds/flu. Your body needs time and rest to heal up and fight off whatever it is being invaded by. Maybe cutting back a little on the workouts untill you are really feeling good again. Im not sure about the multivitamins either. All I take is vitamine D and magnesium. I think we should be able to get the rest with a healthy diet. My vice is chocolate too but hey even that is good for you in smaller amounts :-).

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • as you stress your body, it produces cortisol, which impacts your immune system.....you are doing everything right....just make sure you are recoverying properly from your workouts

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Dr. Phil Maffetone attributes that to over-training and/or poor dieting. If you eat well then maybe you're training too much without letting your body recover.

Check out his book "Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" it provides a very good explanation on what's going on chemically in your body that effects your performance and health.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I used to be in the same situation, especially after a long run. Definitely have to do with diet and over exercising. As I was looking for a the cause, just as you do...I cut out Dairy from my diet, and then my daily cup of coffee. Got in steel oats for breakfast (less processed than baby or instant oats) and incorporate lots of vegetables and fruits into diet. Then I cut out most processed food (allows treats of cakes/ chocolates/ icecream) on occasions. Before I know it, I also cut out meat in my diet and have been trying vegetarian based diet for 4 months now...(Plenty of proteins from legumes and green vegetables). I'll have to say, I havent have flu since and I am running longer distances and more often...recovery is also faster....I suppose you have to tweak here and there and find what works best for you...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I take a daily vitamin suppliment and vitamin C suppliments (2000mg a day). I used to rarely get sick and now it has been forever since I have with a cold or flu. There is also the usual washing your hands continually, if you come in contact with someone sick, wash em making sure you do not wipe your hand on your eyes, nose and/or mouth before you do

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It does sound like you are doing all the right things. Perhaps you should look at other possibilities. A good amount of sleep so that your body can recover and heal and then rebuild is key (I have been told and read). I found that I was getting sick a lot this year when I normally never get sick (even when I had clients come in with colds and thus expose me to the germs). But I experimented with the sleep puzzle piece this year and it seems to have helped me. I made sure I was in bed early because I have read some of the best hours for your body to recover is around 10pm-12am/1am.

Some other people mentioned some good ideas too. Like washing hands a lot, water and plenty of tea is good too.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Our company supply high quality Cheap Nike Air Max Shoes,Asics Onitsuka Tiger shoes,NFL Jerseys and offer good price. 50% OFF Price Free Shipping wholesale and retail. If you need any kind brand shoes. You can link me soon. I think we have more business soon.Web site: http://www.pickmaxshoes.com

answered about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • All of the other answers are pretty much on the nose. I would just add that from my experience sometimes there isn't any real reason. I have been highly prone to colds/flu my entire life. I haven't always taken optimal care of myself but even during my youth when I did a better job I got sick a lot. 3 cases of chicken pox, mono, pneumonia, and lots of ear infections. I'm now a non-smoking, non-drinking (OK, a very occasional glass of wine) vegetarian that exercises 4-5 times a week and I am currently trying to throw off some sort of bug that gave me a 101F fever and sore throat. So mainly I'm just trying to say that sometimes we just get sick.

answered about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Health & Fitness - General Health