Forums/

General Cycling

Best Century Rides in Oregon, Santa Barbara and San Diego areas

posted almost 6 years ago | Report

I am planning out my goals for 2009 and I am looking to do a century ride in Oregon, Santa Barbara and San Diego areas. Can anyone recommend any organized rides in these areas.

Also has anyone participated in the Great Western Bicycle Rally in Paso Robles or the Ojai Valley century. They bookend Memorial Day so I was thinking of doing both of them.

• The bestCenturies in Oregon are actually across the River in Southern Washington!
    Check out the Ride Around Clark County, Tour de Blast and Pedal the Pinchot.

posted almost 6 years ago

• There's the Amtrak century in the summer, which takes place from Irvine to San Diego. I did it this year, it was pretty fun and you get to see the ocean often!

• in reply to what Jon W. said:The bestCenturies in Oregon are actually across the River in Southern Washington! Check out the Ride Around Clark County, Tour de Blast and Pedal the Pinchot.

Jon, thanks I am looking into all of these. Do you know why they canceled the Pedal the Pinchot last year and if this will be happening this year?

• The Salem bike club sponsors the Peach of a Century in the fall. They managed to schedule a sunny day without wind this year (how do they do that?). The route is pretty darned pastoral: covered bridges, pumpkin fields, the whole bit.

• The Solvang (located East of Santa Barbara) Centuries are awesome. They are late in the cycling year or very early. Clean fresh air, but it can be cold. I live in southern california so anything under 50 is cold for us.