Forums/

General Cycling

Road bike wheelset

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I have a 2011 cannondale cadd10 bike which is light and sturdy and I am looking to upgrade my wheelset. I'm a little confused with all of the different wheelsets out there. I am not a competitive cyclist. I mostly bike-commute and run errands. I am looking for a nice light-weight and sturdy set, $500-$600 tops. Any advice for a wheelset? thanks

• I would suggest going to your local Bike Shop. I use Fulcrum racing 6's to train and do normal rides with.

posted over 2 years ago

• I've been running a Mavic Aksium Race wheel set for over a year that I absolutely love. It's done its share of commuting and so forth and has also done some gravel racing. It's surprisingly bomb-proof, light, and low-maintenance. I recommend them highly (though perhaps with caution if you're over 200 pounds).

That said, I'll second the suggestion to check with your LBS. Wheelsets are like saddles; the perfect choice for one rider may not work for another.

*Fixed typo I just noticed! I wrote that the Mavic Aksium Race wheels were 'bob-proof' instead of 'bomb-proof.' Sadly, I have never heard of a wheelset that was 'Fred-proof' :D

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• Thanks for the advice guys..I'll def check with my bike shop :)

posted over 2 years ago

• Firstly- the Caad 10 is a stellar bike. it's a better frame than all but the very best carbon frames which are thousands more- and many still prefer the feel of the Cannondale Caad. You can win Crits on that bike.

I like the Mavic's. The Kysriums (sp?) are a step up from the Aksiums if you want to spend a little more money to save a couple hundred grams. You could stick with the Shimano's but upgrade from the RS10's to the RS80's. But aero trumps weight. I'd probably go with something more aero. How about a sexy set of Easton EC90 SLs 38mm clinchers? OK, they're maybe $800. But the EA90 Aeros are like $400.

think aero.

posted over 2 years ago

• I've heard good things about the Easton EA90s. They seem to balance performance and price very nicely.

posted over 2 years ago