Answers/

General Cycling

How many miles to I need to cycle to equal 1 mile running??

asked about 4 years ago | Report

I have to take a break from running due to a stress fracture.I need to try and keep my carido up to par. I decided to start on a stationary bike today at the gym and did 7 miles in 23 mins. I worked up a sweat but didn't feel like it was even close to running for 23 mins. So my question would be how many miles do I need to do on a stationary bike to equal one running mile? I usually run 9:30 - 10:30 min miles. Any help would be greatly apperciated!

Steph~
I only have access to spin class once a week. I had the resistance set at a 14 today and it goes from 0-25. I know it's not going to be apples to apples but just trying to get some idea. Perhaps I should go by total mins and heart rate??

3 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Do you have access to a spin bike? I find that riding on there is much more difficult and challenging than the stationary bike at the gym. I'd suggest taking a spin class because after 45 minutes of that, you will feel like you ran several miles. ;)

As far as a comparison, it really depends. If you're pedaling with no resistance then a comparable workout will be difficult to achieve. I just don't think there's a good and direct comparison mile for mile because it depends on so many factors (resistance, rpm, speed, effort, HR, etc. etc.). Maybe I'm wrong...

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think that's your best bet. I mean, if you were out on the road and you were doing 16 mph, then I'd say that mile to mile you would bike about 2.7 miles every ten minutes. But ultimately your heart rate and effort is the best indicator. Good luck!

answered about 4 years ago |edited about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • It's true that there are a number of variables, mostly with the biking side of things. When running, you can estimate that you burn between 100 and 110 calories per mile, regardless of pace. (Remember, this is only a general guideline.) Biking makes this much more difficult because there is coasting, hills, resistence, etc. Having said that, a VERY rouch estimate is that it takes 2.5 bike miles to equal 1 running mile from a calories burned point of view. Again, this is a very rough estimate.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - General Cycling