Answers/

General Cycling

User_avatar Deleted User

Wisdom Teeth Getting Removed-How long to wait?

asked about 4 years ago | Report

One week from today, I'm getting ym wisdom teeth ripped out by a dentist. Why are they getting removed when they are not causing any problems?
The dentist SAYS they're growing in at an angle, and my mom bows down to his word. While I have only had a fleeting glimpse of the teeth xrays, met this dentist only once and he was a complete jerk about my being vegan and insisting on synthetic stitches rather than the animal gut-made animal stitches and him trying to start an argument with me about my beliefs. >_> 2nd best dentist on the shore my bum!

ANYWAY, I was wondering how long I should wait after I get my teeth taken out(more like forcefully ripped out in my mind) before I go bike riding again, and also before i listen to my earbuds(for music).

This is the first surgery-like thing I've ever been through so I need to know. I looovveee cycling and its therapeutic for me mentally as well as music. Both and its a sort of high.

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • 3-4 days before taking part in any strenuous exercise. You don't want to inadvertently pop your sutures. Your oral surgeon should go over all aftercare with you, including exercise, and if they don't, ask them outright.

I got my wisdom teeth out last year. I'm a vegetarian, and when my oral surgeon learned that, he asked whether I wanted the synthetic or cat gut. I opted for the synthetic. One thing you should know is that they take much longer to dissolve. A few of mine didn't, and I had to go back twice - at the 1st follow-up, he wanted to give the incisions a bit more time to heal and the sutures to dissolve - and have some snipped and pulled out because they weren't dissolving quickly enough on their own. Pain in the ass, and healing did take longer because of it, but I'd still make the same decision.

While your dentist may have acted unprofessionally, and perhaps didn't explain why he wants to use synthetic, there is a reason for it. Make sure that he gives you all of the information you - or perhaps, you mom. I gather you're a teenager? - need to make an informed decision.

answered about 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Third molars get removed as a preventive measure. They will cause you problems in the future if they grow impacted. The dentist knows this and that's why it's being done.

As far as getting back on the bike after surgery, I think this calls for a little bit of common sense. But common sense isn't so common these days so just wait until they heal. You could always ask your dentist, but then again... you do feel you know more than the professional health care provider right?

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My wife got dry sockets because she went running a bit to early (3-4 days afterward) from spitting when she was running. Take a week off at least.

You'll just have to listen to music instead of biking for a little while.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Difficult question as each person responds differently. My sister didn't move from her bed for several days, other than to take some pain pills - she always had a dentist issue. On the other hand, I had no issues and went back to school afterwards. The one thing you really want to avoid is dry socket. Just google the term. Well worth taking a couple of days off to avoid.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • First of all, get RID of that dentist!!!! You should have a good relationship with your medical care provider before submitting to treatment. If you're a vegan, then you're a vegan. It's America, you're allowed to be. Ask your mom is she goes to a GYN doc SHE hates! I suspect not! So stand up for yourself and get a doc everyone can get along with.

Oh, and when you get that new doc, ask how long to wait. He/She may want you to wait till the stitches are out.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • She can't get a new dentist when she is using her parents insurance and her parents are footing the bill. It sounds like the dentist is not respecting you probably due to your age. However, it also sounds like you are not respecting your parents or your dentist so I can see why they are treating you like a child. If you start to respect their education and experience then they will start to respect you and your beliefs. What your dentist knows is that your wisdom teeth have to come out now or it will be exponentially more painful if you wait until they cause issues. Plus, if your parents insurance covers it then do it. You don't pay and there isn't much pain. Do it later and you foot the bill, get crowded teeth, and a heck of a painful recovery.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Cycling - General Cycling