Forums/

Fitness

Snap Fitness - Matrix elliptical

posted about 4 years ago | Report

I do a lot of my cross training at Snap Fitness. I love to use the elliptical machine there, however, it drives me insane that I can't' figure out how to set the distance to reflect miles. I will be on it for an hour and the distance says "2.5." I KNOW that is NOT miles. But, I can't for the life of me figure out what it's measuring in or how to change it. The machines they have are by Matrix. I've tried googling it, to no avail.

Any ideas?? At best guess, I can "assume" that "1.0" is equal to about 5 miles? I have other friends that have done around 10 miles or more in an hour on the ellipticals. It's so annoying! Please help!

• I know you asked this a long time ago and I don't know if you are still interested... I found their website and maybe you will find the answer to your question in the manuals or just sent them an email and ask. http://www.matrixfitness.com

posted over 3 years ago

• From what I've found out over the last few days, there are two schools of thought on how to measure miles on an elliptical. Most elliptical trainers reflect distance as "revolutions" - or one right stride + one left stride. Also, most ellipticals will have a stride length of 18" - 20", some being adjustable. My elliptical trainer has a stride length of 18, so each revolution is a total of 36" worth of strides."

A simple way of measuring the distance you would have covered if you weren't pedaling in-place, is to simply multiply the number of revolutions by twice the stride length (one left step, one right step) then convert to miles. So on my machine, if I complete 3000 revolutions, that's 3000 x 36", or 108,000" converted to feet by dividing by 12 gives me 9,000 feet, converted to miles by dividing by 5,280 (ft in a mile) gives me a total distance covered of just under 1.71 miles.

Another way of measuring the distance covered is by determining the distance covered if the elliptical trainers flywheel were an actual wheel on the ground, like on a bicycle. You need to find the diameter of the flywheel in order to do this, but on most non-adjustable stride length machine's, the flywheel diameter is the same as the stride length. So again using my own machine as an example, the diameter of the wheel is 18", and to find the circumference (distance around the wheel, or that the wheel would travel on the ground in a single revolution), we can multiply the diameter by Pi (3.14 to keep it simple) so 18" x 3.14 = 56.52, and then divide by 12 to find feet = 4.71 feet of distance traveled per revolution (again, one left stride, and one right stride.) Then you just multiply your number of revolutions by 4.71: 3000 times 4.71 = 14,130. Then divide by 5,280 to find the miles, and you get 2.68. (It comes down to dividing your revolutions by 1121, and that gives your miles.)

So, method one says our 3000 revolutions carried us 1.71 miles, while method two says we covered 2.68 miles. Using this method, my workout this morning of 3,955 revolutions carried me 3.53 miles in 80 minutes, for an avg of 48.1 revolutions a minute.

SO. Even with method two, which is probably a little generous in figuring miles covered, someone would have to pedal 187 revolutions per minute, for 60 minutes straight, to cover 10 miles. That's more than three complete left/right strides per second. I think it's highly unlikely that someone is going to do 10 miles an hour on an elliptical trainer. Your 2.5 in an hour actually sounds very realistic.

For my own purposes, it's not as important to know that exact distance covered, as it is to use the same method every time, so that I'm always comparing apples to apples so to speak. For that matter, we could just not worry about miles, and compare revolutions per minute, per hour, etc. to see progress, especially when combining it with heart rate information, etc.

posted over 3 years ago