Forums/

Fitness

The truth about the FAT BURNING ZONE.

posted almost 6 years ago | Report

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

AGREE
DISAGREE
Would love to hear what all of you think.

• DISAGREE
    for most people, because it is harder to exercise at a higher intensity, they wont do it for very long, they will find it very difficult, and they will most likely experience soreness more of the time, & even maybe finding exercise as more of a chore than before. in my opinion, for people trying to become fit or lose weight, the more enjoyable the activity is, the longer they will continue to do it, and as a result they will become more fit and hopefully lose the desired weight.
    just my $0.02

posted almost 6 years ago

• Guess I'm not most people!

• I'll just say its overly simplified. If you do all your exercise at one intensity, the body adapts to minimize the work it does under those conditions. You must also account for duration and diet.

• That makes sense.

• I agree with what they are saying, but Jog M Up brings an element of personal realism to the table that must be considered.

For time ROI, nothing beats intensity - whether considering caloric burn or performance improvement. However, an LSD run of 20 miles will burn in the order of 2500 calories (plus or minus, depending on the person). The amount of intense (ie, Z3 or Z4) running to match that calorie burn is not possible without significant training and/or recovery - and the recovery is so long that it negates the caloric burn because you aren't burning calories during those rest days (ok, thats technically a lie, but you know what I mean).

On the other hand, if you've got 30 minutes, and only 30 minutes - you'll burn a ton more calories going hard during those 30 minutes than at a nice, leisurely pace.

Basically, it takes about 125 calories to run a mile. If you do it at a leisurely pace (10 min/miles) - you burn at a rate of ~750 cal/hr. If you run at a more intense pace (8 min/miles), you burn at a rate closer to 1000 cal/hr simply because you've traversed a greater distance.