Forums/

Fitness

(Super) Spartan Race

posted about 6 years ago | Report

Hi fellow DM's,

I'm doing my first ever Spartan Race in April 2013 I'm looking to chat, motivate and be motivated for this epic event. (and hopefully make friends along the way)
Anyone who have ever participated in something like this in the past (Tough Mudder and such) would be a great bonus!

Thank you in advance and happy training :)

• I’m doing the Spartan Sprint in Phoenix in February. I’d like to do the Super Spartan in Nevada in April and the Spartan Beast in Utah in June. I have done one 6.5 mile Terrain/Mud/Obstacle race and it was so much fun.

I’m not doing the Tough Mudder that’s here in Phoenix in February – mainly because it’s too close to a marathon I’d like to do. The Tough Mudder isn’t timed so it’s not really a race per se. There are other ones like Survivor.

I like the idea of the longer courses like the Super Spartan, because I like the idea of stretching out a run between obstacles and also because it’s longer I feel like I’m getting my money’s worth.

My rule is have fun but don’t get injured.

posted about 6 years ago

• in reply to what Bill P. said:I’m doing the Spartan Sprint in Phoenix in February. I’d like to do the Super Spartan in Nevada in April and the Spartan Beast in Utah in June. I have done one 6.5 mile Terrain/Mud/Obstacle race and it was so much fun. I’m not doing the Tough Mud... read more

Thanks so much Bill. You got good point there -- 'idea of stretching out a run between obstacles' I also think by running between the obstacles will give you time to recover in a way.
    I didn't realized that Tough Mudder is not timed event (I thought they all are) but good to know.
    Good luck to you on Spartan in Feb. let me know if you decide to do Super in Nevada

posted about 6 years ago

• A bunch of guys are planning to do the tough mudder in Ohio next April. We have all "discussed" it but no one has actually signed up yet. So it wouldn't be a complete surprise to me if a bunch of them bail before it's actually run time. I'd really like to do it though. It fits in my "half or tough mudder in the spring, full in the fall" plan.

So what it sounds like is I need some motivation to get signed up. And I can't get myself to do the strength training (push-ups, pull-ups, squats, etc) that will be helpful to do the obstacles. I'd rather just go run.

posted about 6 years ago

• I hear ya! It's tough to do something out of your routine/comfort zone. I say, just sign up (I did and now have no choice but train) plus its my bf's and mine 30th birthday so we decided to celebrate with Spartan style :)
    I'll be doing CrossFit at local 'gym for athletes' you would definitely need to sign up for something like that and find an accountability-buddy even if that means a virtual one.
    Good luck!

posted about 6 years ago

• I've done about 7 mud runs including Tough Mudder. Tough Mudder is timed. Not like all the other races where you have a timing chip, but it has a timing board that you can look at when you cross the finish line. They are fun, and not as hard as they may seem. Circuit training definitely helps, but just good old fashion running can do wonders :))

posted about 6 years ago

• Good luck at the Spartan Race!

posted about 6 years ago | edited about 6 years ago

• Thanks guys! So much useful info :) DM and their peeps ROCK!

posted about 6 years ago

• Thanks guys! So much useful info :) DM and their peeps ROCK!

posted about 6 years ago