Forums/

Fitness

Motivation after my accident....

posted over 6 years ago | Report

I had a severe accident and was hospitalized in October after a bicycle accident and now scared of everything..... I have a hard time enjoying working out and wonder if anyone has gone through this and what I can do to help??? I push through workouts but just don't love it and look forward to it like I used to. What can I do?

• I hate to say it, But just get back in the saddle again. The longer you wait the harder it will be. It is easy to dwell on the what happened and what if's. You have to get passed that point and just do it. It wont be easy but it will be worth it in the end.

So keep up the good work and you will get back.

posted over 6 years ago | edited over 6 years ago

• in reply to what Bryce H. said:I hate to say it, But just get back in the saddle again. The longer you wait the harder it will be. It is easy to dwell on the what happened and what if's. You have to get passed that point and just do it. It wont be easy but it will be wort... read more

Oh believe me I got back in the saddle too soon.... Ran 4 days after getting out of ICU and was yelled at...lol.....I just have the drive anymore like I used to.

posted over 6 years ago

• When it becomes work take a break from it all. Try to remember the reason we do this is to have fun. Don't dwell and force it, it will come.

posted over 6 years ago

• Severe accident and in ICU only 2 months ago?, let the body heal, plan small steps - psychologically as well as physically. Indoor work building yourself up again? A date to aim for - event, holiday etc
    Unless there is a deficit it will come back over time (depending on your injuries) perhaps a year or more.

posted over 6 years ago

• So far you're getting great advice so I'll simply reinforce the meme "Pace yourself". Spending time in the ICU implies that the injuries were significant and that you may need to heal up a bit before rushing off to a half marathon.

While I've not had such an injury experience I do know few who have and their experience has all been positive. Generally they have needed some recoup time with moderate levels of exercise in coordination with a PT. After several months (some as long as a year'ish) they were all back to working out at their favorite activities... this includes such things as running, skiing, and basketball. My one friend who had a bike related injury is back riding now... though he's not out doing the huge rides he used to... not because of the injury or the rehab... but a new found appreciation for some other activities.

posted over 6 years ago