Forums/

Competitive Triathlon

Aero Helmet

posted over 7 years ago | Report

I'm thinking of buying an aero helmet for triathlon and TT racing. Does anyone have any personal experience proving that they went faster wearing an aero helmet? I've heard that there is more to benefit speed wise versus carbon fiber wheels.

• the veterans in my tri club say that if you are trying to decide between wheels and a aero helmet because both aren't in the budget, then go with the helmet. I've read a couple articles echoing this. Good luck!

posted over 7 years ago

• There are a couple of good studies on the aerodynamics. The bottom line, is that an aero helmet has about the same amount of aerodynamic benefit of those cool Zipp wheels that cost 10x more. After body position, it's the most effective aerodynamic thing you can do. Basically- the biggest bang for your buck. On the downside, Zipp wheels are cool. Aero helmets are something you, style wise, can only wear during a race.

Personal experiece: The fastest average pace I've ever rode is the day I used the aero helmet I picked up off ebay. I think it bought me nearly 1/2mph.

posted over 7 years ago

• in reply to what Morey B. said:There are a couple of good studies on the aerodynamics. The bottom line, is that an aero helmet has about the same amount of aerodynamic benefit of those cool Zipp wheels that cost 10x more. After body position, it's the most effective aero... read more

Morey nailed it. TT'ing whether for a triathlon or as part of a stage race I've heard the exact same things from others' personal experience. It makes a pretty large difference considering it's "just a helmet". I would definitely go with it. Zipps are also expensive to replace, and accidents can happen to the best of us.

posted about 7 years ago

• Here's an article on the subject. I got a little crafty with the tinyurl link.

http://tinyurl.com/AeroHelmetArticle

posted about 7 years ago

• Are you doing long distance races? Then you might want to ask yourself if you are strong enough to get your head up all the time. If you put your head down you'll lose the advantage of the helmet.

Fabian
    www.TheHawaiiDream.com

posted about 7 years ago

• in reply to what Fabian said:Are you doing long distance races? Then you might want to ask yourself if you are strong enough to get your head up all the time. If you put your head down you'll lose the advantage of the helmet. Fabian www.TheHawaiiDream.com

No. Just short TT's and Sprint Tri's.

posted about 7 years ago

• Purchased a Giro Advantage 2. It was a previous years model plus a 30% discount so I got a pretty good deal on it. I'll let you know what it's like once I ride with it.

posted about 7 years ago