Forums/

Competitive Running

How different is your pace for a 5k vs. The Marathon?

posted almost 5 years ago | Report

I am curious about the net time difference between your best average 5k pace (or 10k) to your best average Marathon pace. For me my best 5k pace has been 5:53 per mile, and for my best average Marathon pace has been 6:44 for a net difference of 51 seconds per mile. I am thinking I had hit my peak and I wasn't going to improve much on either end of the distance spectrum. If anything I think I could improve my marathon time. On the 5k side, I was gut busting to get that pace for 3.1 miles.

What kind of pace differences have you experienced?

• big difference as it should be. My 5K pace has been as fast as 8:48. My marathon pace will be around 11. You have to take a marathon slow in the beginning and aim for negative splits. You are one speedy runner by the way. I am a middle of the packer and much older then you. Each distance has a different pace. I don't think anyone can run a 10K at a 5K pace or a full mary and a half pace. Wish I could but not happening for 26 plus miles.

posted almost 5 years ago

• Hey, Ron: Your 5K and marathon paces are very consistent with each other! In other words, if I only knew one of those two paces, the other is about what would be predicted with most of the formulas that have been designed for the purpose. And that's actually rather rare, because few people are equally talented at everything from 5K to the marathon. I'm curious about something: Have you raced much on the track? I wonder if your consistency would hold up at something like 800m or 1500m?

Anyway, I'm definitely NOT equally talented at the entire range of distances. My best-ever 5K was 18:53 way back in my younger days (6:05 pace). My best recent time as an old guy was 21:00 (6:46 pace). You'd think I could run a marathon in the 3:10s or 3:20s, but my only one was 4:19:35 (9:54 pace). In part, that's because I've never really taken the time to put in sufficient training mileage for a fast marathon, but mostly I just lack the patience and the slow twitch muscle fibers for the really long stuff. While my marathon time has a lot of room for improvement, it's just never going to be comparable to to what I can do in the 1500m to 5K range. I choose to focus on my relative strengths.

• On 2/15, I ran my marathon PR, at 4:22:16, or 10:01 pace
    On 3/1, I ran my 5k PR, at 24:47, or 8:00 pace

• My best paces:
    5k - 6:45
    10k - 7:00
    1/2 M - 7:35
    Mar - goal = 8:00
    Mar - actual = 8:35

posted almost 5 years ago | edited almost 5 years ago

• You guys are awesome! The marathon is a tough one to get feel for what you can actually do because there are just so many factors involved in the day of the race unless you have done a lot of them to judge from. For example running the same marathon several years in a row to see how you have improved or not would be a good guide. Anytime you can run the same race again on the same course in similar conditions, can you really judge what you can do. I am talking about pushing yourself to PRs. There are alway certain courses I knew I would get a PR on, or close to it, and other courses I knew I would not come close to a PR and would just record it in my running journal as a Personal Course Record for that course. So, I can see that it is sometimes tough to know what is the fastest pace you can hold for a marathon.

posted almost 5 years ago | edited almost 5 years ago

• My 5k PR is 18.22.28 = (5.55) mile pace.
    My Marathon PR is 3:06.11 = (7.06) mile pace.

About judging your Marathon pace. I think even the average runner can judge what pace they are going to run in the Marathon if they are in great shape. I do, however, think you might have an edge on someone else as far as pace goes if you have completed a few or more Marathons. But personally if you do alot of local racing at any distance I think it's fair to say you can (Guesstimate Your Pace) for 26.2-miles and get pretty close.

In 2003 when my buddy Nick and former training partner had moved back home we decided to start training again. I had the intentions of running another Marathon, and soon after that Nick dedcided he wanted to run his first one. We trained mostly running long slow runs during the week days with a longer run of 3-hours on Saturday mornings We had a goal in mind of running the course record which was at the time 3:10.00. That makes the pace (7.15), so we were thinking of holding 7.10's which comes out to 3:07.46 for the Marathon.

At the half we were at 1:33.30. (7.10) pace for 13.1-miles = 1:33.53, so we were right on pace. Nick was feeling a little tired so he motioned for me to go on. (We had already decided that beforewe actually showed up to race). I picked up the pace a little more and was around 2:21 at 20-miles which is under our goal (7.10) Marathon pace. Later Nick told me that he was around 2:24 for 20-miles and that is right there. I think 2:23.20 is actually(7.10) pace so Nick was only a second if that over our goal pace. But dehydration had set in and we both hit the Marathon wall. I knew it just beofre 20-miles even though I was still on our goal pace, but my pace soon went down hill and I finished with a time of 3:25.23 which comes out to (7.50) mile pace. Nick dropped out at 22-23 miles, but just before that he was right om pace.

My point being. It was Nick's first Marathon, and if he had not hit the ole Marathon wall due to dehydration I truly believe he would have broke 3:10 on his very first attempt. Plus I would have too. (It was my 8th finish). I was feeling it just before 20-miles and had enough left to keep pace, but I faded to running slower and slower. I had my pace pre planned before the gun went off and still came pretty close. My 7th finish was Boston 2000 which was 3-years before that. (I love this site, and as you can tell I love to talk about running). I wish you, your family, everyone at Dailymile, and their famalies a happy (Labor-Day) weekend. Great Discussion, Ron. ( =
    God Bless Everyone @ Dailymile.... +

• Mar '09 5K 6:49
    Oct '06 marathon 9:32 (Chicago)
    Dec '06 half mary 8:00 (Charlotte, NC)

I was under-trained for the marathon having done three long runs of 10, 14, & 16 miles. After Chicago, I ran 14 every Saturday until Dec and had a great half. I've gotten a little faster over the past few years and will probably have another go at the half and full one of these days.