Forums/

Competitive Running

Whats the best way to run up hills?

posted almost 2 years ago | Report

I am a runner in high school, and i would like to learn how to improve my running technique when running up hills. Ive thought about running up hills as being similar to biking up hills in the regard that I change gear levels to make peddling easier. When running up a hill, its similar with the step pace (shorter quicker steps). I would like to know if this is true (it makes alot of sense) and I would also like to know any other ways to run up a hill during a 5k race.

11 posts

scroll to bottom
  • You're right on track with the short stride and high cadence. It's definitely an easier way to run uphill. Also, very few races are won on the hill. Keeping the effort level constant, rather than the speed typically gives the fastest overall time. Of course, that means having good downhill technique to take advantage of gravity when it's working for you.

posted almost 2 years ago

• Attack the hill before it attacks you!

• thanks!

• Erik's suggestions are great - here's a couple other pointers (1) use your arms - swing them with a bit more force, thumbs brushing near your waistband. Since the motion of your arms and legs is inherently linked, you'd be surprised how much you can use them to power up the hill. (2) lean in to the hill a bit. (3) if it's steep or just gets hard, look no more than 6 feet in front of you. Mentally, you can always make it 6 more feet!

• I race Mountain Bikes and to get faster overall, you have to get faster on the hills. Races are indeed won on the hills. I totally agree with attack it before it attacks you. Whats worse :30 seconds of higher pain, or 1:30 of lesser pain?

Hill repeats should be in your training plan..

• One thing that always helped me in high school was to run hard over the top of the hill. While other runners were catching their breath or easing up, I would run hard over the top and down the other side.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2qocvfCzE
    I love running hills. Good Luck with your running.
    God Bless..+ Jimmy. ( =

• I have friends who really like to use HR monitors for hills. The idea is to keep up a decent pace but not over-exert yourself, which is easy to do on hills. Me, though, I blast up them if I have the energy—or crawl if I don't!

• I like to focus on higher cadence and higher knee lift up hills, almost like I'm running up steps...and don't try to take a drink until you catch your breath on the downhill

• I drop my hands, swing the arms more forcefully and go into a near race-walk with a quick cadence on steep grades. I go just as fast as people who are running (I would say "jumping" into the hill and can control hear rate better. If you classic x-c ski well, think of it as similar to using diagonal stride in the tracks on steep hills. Quick feet, drive the hands.

• in reply to what Mike D. said:One thing that always helped me in high school was to run hard over the top of the hill. While other runners were catching their breath or easing up, I would run hard over the top and down the other side.

Mikes suggestion to practice running over the top of the hill is very good, do that in your hill repeats, dont just stop at the top, but run over the thill and stop after youve gone down the otherside a little bit.

maintain a good posture, dont slump over into the hill and stare at the patch of road directly ahead. Keep your head up in its neutral position. and sholders back.

you can also use visualisation to help, i like to imagine i have a rope attached to my chest that is pulling me up the hill.

If you happen to be good at going up hills they can make ideal places to attack your competition if your running up the front, a good breakaway on a hill can often be held on the descent or flat on the otherside.