Forums/

Competitive Running

Warrior Dash Advice?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

I could use some! I'm running my first this Saturday and was wondering if any experienced warriors had tips, especially on how to scale the obstacles.

12 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I'm running my first on Sunday and will be watching this for responses! And since you must be around me somewhere to be running it, FR incoming!

Oh.. I did hear a recommendation to wear sunscreen. And bring it with you along with a change of clothes to put on after the run.

posted over 2 years ago

• If you are in decent shape you shouldn't have too much trouble with the obstacles. Bring a change of clothes, don't wear any loose or new clothing, and be prepared to get wet, muddy, and tired. And most of all, just go out there and have fun, the environment is exciting and the race is unlike any other!

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Michael said:I'm running my first on Sunday and will be watching this for responses! And since you must be around me somewhere to be running it, FR incoming! Oh.. I did hear a recommendation to wear sunscreen. And bring it with you along with a change ... read more

Michael, I saw this on fb today after I started this discussion. Thought it might help you, too.

Yes, you can throw your shoes in the pile to be cleaned and given to those in need. I would not wear a camel pack myself out of the amount of things it can get hung up on. They have water stations along the way. It is super important to hydrate before. So eat a carb rich diet the night before, and start increasing the h2o 1-2 days prior and avoid all alcohol as it dehydrates (avoid 1-2 days prior and day of). Also, Eat Breakfast!!! Here is what I take: Garbage bag, flip flops, large towels to put on the car seats, a small towel to wipe up, large water, sun screen, an umbrella and folding chair for anyone who is coming with but not running, a camera. They have first aid huts, a place to drop your belongings, merchandise you can buy, food and water and banana's. I layer, so that I can take off the outer shirt when done...and avoid Cotton - gets heavy with all the mud and water. Hope this helps!

She also recommends wearing weight lifting gloves to avoid blisters on the ropes. Don't know if I'll get that crazy.

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Kris B. said:If you are in decent shape you shouldn't have too much trouble with the obstacles. Bring a change of clothes, don't wear any loose or new clothing, and be prepared to get wet, muddy, and tired. And most of all, just go out there and have... read more

Thanks, Kris, that's my plan!

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Kris G. said:Michael, I saw this on fb today after I started this discussion. Thought it might help you, too. Yes, you can throw your shoes in the pile to be cleaned and given to those in need. I would not wear a camel pack myself out of the amount of things... read more

This is very useful! Thanks for posting it, Kris!

posted over 2 years ago

• We just did the Survivor Mud Run. Tip - Start at the very first wave if possible. We did this and most of the people around us were walking in between obstacles. We ran the whole thing and were quickly ahead of most people and did not have to wait at all at the obstacles. I hear that the farther back you start the longer you have to wait at each obstacle. There are a ton of people there doing it for fun with no cares as to their time. Also, a change of clothes is a must, we cleaned up and went to get our free beer in fresh clothes - BABY WIPES!!! The course itself was awesome and fun, it's hard to know how to prepare, but I would suggest wearing something that covers your knees, there was a lot of time spent crawling and my husband had shorts on that didn't cover his knees. I think he'll wear pants next time. Just have a blast with it, it's like nothing I've ever done before and I can't WAIT to do it again. I posted a few pics on my profile page.

posted over 2 years ago

• Jan
    Jan Sendmail

I ran one last year & one 2 weeks ago and they're a lot of fun! Advice?
    * Your whites will never be white again but other clothes are fine (unless they get torn)
    * Gloves aren't necessary!
    * Your knees will get a bit chewed up but it's not a big deal. If you want to move faster and not have any cuts to show for it, wear capri tights or pants. Most are in shorts
    * Wear light colored shirt - Dashers in all black just don't get the great "after" pics like those in white, pink, etc
    * Take a garbage bag for wet & dirty things & towels for the car.
    * Take a fleece or jacket you don't mind getting muddy in case you're chilly after running it 'cause you're wet.
    * Your shoes will be gross but they rinse off fine. No need to donate unless you want to.
    * Trail running shoes work best.
    * Don't take anything that will require using your hands like hydration, glasses, etc. You'll need them for every obstacle.
    * The only obstacle I wouldn't do again - the fire pole. I feel lucky to have walked away from that one. If there's an obstacle you truly look at and think this is a MISTAKE, there's always a back door. You can get down via a ladder or ask a volunteer how to skip it. They may give you a time penalty or something but its better than a real injury (and I don't mean a broken ankle).
    * Know how to swim. At ours we've had to swim seriously both years (this year LOTS of swimming)
    * If you wear glasses or contacts, that can be tough. Glasses will definitely need a strap to keep them on.
    * Be forewarned - the free beer at the end may be the best one you've had in a long time after the grit & sweat! Enjoy!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun and get DIRTY!

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• If you are already a runner. You will be fine.... The hardest part for me was trekking up and down the hills through the slick slimey muddy.. The obstacles were not that bad. The only one I did not like was the pole... I had to climb up an obstacle and then once you got up there you had to slide down a pole.. wet muddy hands + a slick pole = scary.. There were several broken ankles... Wear old clothes and shoes... I actually wore dark clothes so I didn't have to worry about stains.. and I kept my shoes... they cleaned up fine so I can use them for other mud runs... My profile pic is actually from Warrior Dash.. It's a lot of fun! Hope you enjoy it.. And definatley expect some cuts and scratches, esp on your knees..

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Jan said:I ran one last year & one 2 weeks ago and they're a lot of fun! Advice? * Your whites will never be white again but other clothes are fine (unless they get torn) * Gloves aren't necessary! * Your knees will get a bit chewed up but... read more

Great points and I can definitely vouch for your take on the free beer at the end. I'm not a big beer fan, but the one I had last year was the BEST I've ever had!!! It was hot, I was soooooo thirsty and it was better than my usual recovery drink after a long run or hard workout.

posted over 2 years ago

• if you're in good shape, you're not gonna be that challenged by this. best tip? get there early and wait in front of the line to avoid the early bog down.

posted over 2 years ago

• I know you already ran this, but for people reading this for future runs:

Get there early, preferably on the first day if it's a multi-day event. Some of the obstacles get mud in them, making them harder to scale.

posted over 2 years ago

• So agree with Michael, if you are trying to rock a good time, sign up for an eary heat on the first day. Course gets really slippery!

posted over 2 years ago