Forums/

Competitive Running

What to eat before a 10k?

posted over 2 years ago | Report

Hi all, I am running my first 10k in April and would like to know what you eat the day before the race and the morning of? Curious about the whole carb loading thing. Any advice would be great!

• I just ran one last week and didn't really prepare. The day before I had an early dinner, veggie wrap and carmel rice cakes. Breakfast bar an hour before...had enough energy to finish strong. Hope this helps, Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

• You don't need to carb load for a 10K. You won't come close to using up your glycogen stores running 6 miles. You wouldn't even need to carb load for a half marathon. Most people won't hit the wall until around 18-20 miles. Just eat whatever u normally eat and doesn't cause you problems/cramping during runs. G/L

posted over 2 years ago

• I plan on eating maybe a waffle. Or some of those breakfast cookies by I think Belvita. You really don't have to get out of your normal routine, it may not seem like it, but 6 miles is not that big a deal to your body as long as you've been training regularly.

posted over 2 years ago

• I usually eat oatmeal or a power bar before any race.

posted over 2 years ago

• I would say, eat what you normally eat for breakfast. But I've found at my last 10K's that this advice doesn't actually work for me so well. I usually eat plain yogurt with granola and fruit but somehow that hasn't set well in my stomach before a race. So the last couple weeks I've been doing my long run at the same time in the morning as my next race, and I've been 'practicing' what breakfast to have. Right now, a childhood favorite (Cheerios with a banana) seems to be working pretty well. So I'd suggest trying to do a few runs at the same time in the morning as your race will be, and see how you feel on whatever you had for breakfast.

I don't think for a 10K you need to do anything special the day before, just, like runs4brains said, avoid anything you suspect might cause stomach cramping.

posted over 2 years ago

• First 10k, I think it is wise to avoid varying your eating routine, but a couple days before start eating a little extra carb, less fat. Those bellavita cookies are a good idea, not a huge amount of calories, good grains, not a ton of fiber. If you eat healthy throughout the week then a good breakfast of simple and complex carbs that are low in fiber, with just a little protein is all you really need. Try your strategy out a couple weeks before to see what works for you. Some people have trouble with fiber, protein or fat, some don't. Some can eat right before a race, others can't eat after a couple hours before a race. Find what works for you and go for it. Remember if you decide to load up on insurance carbs, every gram of carb sorta locks 3 grams of water in the system with it. A weight bump can happen as you load. I tend to eat pasta the night before because I like pasta, but that's because I like pasta and I find it helps me run a race without feeling like I am out of fuel. Then the morning of the race I eat 2 waffles with maple syrup with a fruit smoothie 90-60 minutes pre-run. That gives me 600 calories and no stomach trouble at all. I use that recipe for runs up to 9-10 miles so it is over-kill for a 10k prolly. But I love it! lol, isn't part of this for fun?

posted over 2 years ago

• Before most races (5m-9m) the supper before I have a steak, sweet potato, and a veggie.
    Morning of well I shoot for a regular breakfast (eggs n bacon and a banana) a couple hours before and then a honey stinger 30 minutes before the start of the race.

posted over 2 years ago