Forums/

Competitive Running

Running with Weights

posted over 5 years ago | Report

I'm talking ankle weights and arm weights. Anyone ever run with resistance?

Today a friend showed me his ankle weights. I was very intrigued. He said he used to practice on his skateboard while using the weights. When he took them off, he could do much higher jumps and tricks.

We started talking about how it might effect running. ...like, you wouldn't want to wear ankle weights if you're running on a trail with slippery rocks. And if you ran too fast, it might pull out your knees... ?

But if you ran with weights for a while, surely you'd feel lighter once you removed them, thus improving your speed...?

Running with weights sounds like hardcore fun to me. I'd totally do it just for fun, but I'm curious if anyone here has already trained with a weighted vest before or something of that nature...
How did it go?

Thanks for taking a moment to dig this discussion. Peace.
~E

16 posts

scroll to bottom
  • I dunno, Emilie... everything I've ever heard was that running with weights is a no-no. Even when military guys do it, they only do it infrequently.

posted over 5 years ago

• Hey...I know a lot of people do this, but it is generally a no-no--like Devin said. It's sort of like a wash: the weights can help you work "harder", but most people naturally slow down. Also, it can compromise your gait, leading to an injury. If you want to run faster, just run faster. (Does that sound oversimplified?)
    Happy running to you, Emilie!

posted over 5 years ago

• I think if I was going to run with weights (and it doesn't sound like a great idea to me, because of the added stress it would put on your knees and ankles) I wouldn't do it with ankle weights. I don't know if you'd get much from wrist weights (maybe stronger arms?) either. But if I was going to do it, I'd buy a weighted vest, so that the added weight is better distributed. I'm not sure if the weighted running would be any better than just doing some weight training and some speed training though.

posted over 5 years ago

• I definitely can't run with weights because my ankles are wobbly and my knees just suck. I have read in RW that some runner chick ran hills with a weighted vest. And she was a pro. So maybe it's just for the pros?
    On the other hand, my boyfriend has run with wrist weights and does punches and such with them to build his arms.

posted over 5 years ago

• My feeling is it's not a good idea - if you throw off your natural gait by putting weight where it shouldn't be, you're just asking for an injury. If you want to strengthen muscles while running, just go to a track and run intervals or do hill repeats - this would be a lot more natural than adding weights. That being said, I have used wrist weights while Wii Boxing a few times, and that is a great upper body workout.

posted over 5 years ago

• I can see that working for skating, as the board takes some of the impact. For running, there's too much potential downside, I think. But WALKING with weights is awesome. For example, grab a couple of 15 pound or 20 pound weights, and just go for a walk. Keep your shoulder firmly in the socket (I'm kind of a freak about shoulder stability, having dislocated several times), or for an extra challenge for your core, hold the weights in the racked position (at your shoulders). It's surprising how quickly your heart rate comes up from walking with weights!

P.S. I love that you posted this question. The curious mind is the healthy mind, right?

posted over 5 years ago

• I agree with Tony S., I don't think it's a good idea due to the added stress your placing on your body. However, if you feel a need to try it I would go with the weighted vest. Good luck and be careful.

posted over 5 years ago

• This is from a post about walking with weights, I'd imagine the same principles would come into play with running:

"Swinging that extra weight is a great way to tear a muscle or injure your shoulder joint. The same goes for ankle weights. If you wear them while walking, you might as well sign yourself up for a knee injury.

You should know that for every 10 pounds you add to your body while walking, you only burn about five to eight extra calories per mile. That's not much, and if you compare that to walking a quarter of a mile, a 150-pound person burns about 20 calories. So you're better off reducing your risk of injury by walking a little longer instead. Also dumbbells and ankle weights are meant to be used for stationary strengthening exercises."

from http://www.fitsugar.com/1646364

posted over 5 years ago

• I've bought a pair of 0.45kg wrist weights last year ("Hand Irons", 1 lb each), to give my arms a little workout while running. I like them, that's all I can say.

That being said, I think heavier weights would throw me off and tire me more, though.

posted over 5 years ago

• I would agree that running with ankle weights has WAY more risks then any benefit you would get. I have never tried but they have weighted vests that you can wear for walking, running, etc that would add weight giving you resistance, but not on the ends of your extremities where the forces could do damage. found this just doing a quick search - I sure there are many others out there.

www.weightvest.com/15details.html

posted over 5 years ago

• Running with ankle weights is dangerous, I would say NO big time. It's better just to use resistance in a controlled manner. We don't want to get injured while trying to improve our quality of life.

Train smarter not harder!

posted over 5 years ago

• Ankle weights are the fast way to joint damage. If you're looking for some resistance, try hill workouts. Alternatively try a weight vest, where the load is not being carried by the legs (or arms). If you do use a weight vest, be mindful of letting your body breathe; don't constrict airflow around your torso. Your body needs to dispel heat.

posted over 5 years ago

• The only thing I've heard in regard to training with weights is that it slows you down. What ends up happening is that you are unable to improve your lactic threshold and or your VO2 Max because of the slower pace. I think you might be better off if you did speed drills to improve both of those areas and that will lead to a real difference in your bodies ability to handle a quicker pace.

posted over 5 years ago

• I agree, it's not a good idea. If you were to do some specialized training with weights NOT while running, that would be one thing. But to run with weights would just invite injury. Every time you put your foot down you are coming down with a force up to 250% of your body weight. The mechanics of your body, paired with a properly fit pair of shoes, absorb that appropriately. A weight wouldn't work in the same way. It would not only put you in more downward stress, but they should shift with every step and place stress on the achilles, on the top of the foot (possibly), on the bones of the ankle. Since you can't control that motion in a biomechanically appropriate fashion, you could do some serious damage.

There are other ways, though, to get the effect you're looking for. Let me see if I can find a link. Oh shoot, they're in a catalog I might still have at home. They are similar to bungees, but you wear a harness and someone else stabilizes while you run. It's hard to explain, but the idea is to provide resistance during the run for plyometric speed workouts, so that you're building leg muscles using the same movements you use in a sprint run. Obviously you should work with a coach while doing this, but it's more conducive to building speed than weights would be.

posted over 5 years ago

• DON'T. You will end up with back problems, at best.

posted over 4 years ago

• i would imagine that would be a very bad idea, but for walking it could be could. i use a weighted vest while working out, but its very short sprints, never for an actual run.

posted over 4 years ago