Answers/

Competitive Running

Hello, could someone please tell me what to do in a situation like mine? I have been training for my very first Marathon

asked over 4 years ago | Report

Hello, could someone please tell me what to do in a situation like mine? I have been training for my very first Marathon, last weekend i ran my 18 miles and today i am scheduled to do 14 so that next weekend is my 20 mile and longest before the race. The problem is that a day after my 18 mile run i came down with a bad flu and suffering from it since. I havent ran in 6 days and next weekend it should be the dreaded 20 miles. I feel that i will be out till at least next wednesday and i will not be able to do 20 that weekend. I could give it another week, however then my taper will only be 2 weeks. Can a taper even be that short. I am afraid of losing fitness and not be able to make it, however i am in TX and probably that is the last Marathon here before the summer hits... If 2 weeks taper is ok, how it should be done? Thanks

3 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I am no where near qualified to answer this post, but I will anyways... I am a fairly new runner with way less experience than you, but having heard many radio shows and reading many blog posts, it seems like the best advice would be to take it easy. It is better to have a bigger taper and be better rested than to over do it and not taper enough. If you shorten the taper, you may not give your body enough of a rest and your results will suffer...

answered over 4 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • 2 weeks can be enough for a taper, though I certainly wouldn't make it any shorter if your last run before tapering is a 20 miler. I would say if you've run 18 that your fitness is basically already set. You aren't going to lose it in the next few weeks.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Nothing at all on your profile. Guessing you came on dailymile just to have your question answered. That's OK.
    If you've already gradually reached the 18 mile mark in your long runs, you've built up more than enough distance and endurance in your body to finish up your marathon despite the set back from the flu.
    Unless your aim is to win the marathon, I would suggest you restart your running a little below the upcoming scheduled runs in the plan, ie, a bit slower pace and shorter distance. If you feel that you can reach that 20 mile mark, go for it! If not, relax, you'll have 2 more weeks to recover for the big day.
    That first marathon will be your PB/PR and one of the best thrills in your life. Hydrate and eat well during the run and mostly, in my book anyway, ENJOY! Gotta smile when you cross the finish line!
    :+)

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Competitive Running