Answers/

Competitive Running

If I am training for sub-10 minute 2 miles, should I be doing core workouts?

asked about 2 years ago | Report

I am training for my next spring Track season, and am aiming to break down the 10 minute barrier. I am bringing my mpw up to around 50-60 over the winter, and will start doing speed workouts about a month away from when track starts. My question is: will doing core workouts after my long runs benefit me at all?

6 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I have run almost sub-10(converted from 3K), i do core workouts every night, but i don't know how important they actually are. Maybe try doing them at night instead of right after runs. you're training sound pretty good

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Why don't you start with some speed work now, so your 55avg MPW pace can be faster over the winter.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I could be wrong about this- but I don't think core workouts make you faster. Having core strength is an enabler. It's something that helps stabilize your body and reduce the likelihood of pain and injuries along the way. So- yeah, a good thing to do, but it's not a panacea for speed.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I don't recommend the speed workouts yet unless you are talking about a 1-2 per week fartlek or hill workout, and/or maybe 6x150m strides after easy distance to keep your foot speed. You don't want to peak too soon, which is what I did in HS. Keep your miles up and focus on building a strong base.

My experience:
    9:43 3200m and 4:25 1600m in HS. Instead of doing a lot of slow distance in the off season my senior year I ran fast and hard and did 30-40 mpw. I ran a 4:30 1600m at the season opener and only ran slightly faster all year (4:25 PR mid-season) and ran about the same speed at the end of the season.

I know this says nothing about core strength, so fwiw, core strength can't hurt and will likely benefit you.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • some info from a real coach: http://www.pfitzinger.com/cc.shtml

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Hey Nathan, definitely Core will help. Just making sure that you are doing the core exercises the right way. Meaning that it does help strengthen your form, prevent possible injuries down the road and provide that extra strength in a race especially in the middle and ending portions of the two mile or further distance you may run. However, stated above doing them to quickly or the wrong way can lead to possible injuries as well. Definitely ask a coach or a professional what core exercises to do and they should be running aligned as well. Other suggestion too is don't overdue as well 2-4x a week should be fine. Happy Running!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Competitive Running