Answers/

Competitive Running

What are the best socks to run in?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

I have been running for a while now and either have blisters or sweaty feet that make me feel like my shoes slip and slide.
So i was wondering what are the best socks to run in.
The socks that i am using now are champion socks that go right past the ankle kind of like basketball socks.
Please help!

35 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I usually wear minimalist shoes for which I wear no socks. In the winter I'll wear a thinner wool sock. Those who don't wear minimal shoe tell me the thin wicking type running socks are best for warmer weather.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Basic non-answer: "The socks that work for you."

It really depends on what you like, the 2 brands that I know have very loyal and vocal following are: http://www.balega.com/ & http://www.injinji.com/ Shoe companies usually do a pretty good job on the socks that they put out.

I can only suggest you plan to spend some money (some of these brands are expensive) and try 'em until you find your brand.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Oh NO Champion socks Lauren. I love Under Armour; they do an excellent job wicking the sweat & there is NO slipping & sliding. My friend sent me a really good pair of Swiftwick & these were even moe cushioned than my UA's.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Balega

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Jan
    Jan Sendmail

You could try good wicking socks made for running but I also wonder if your shoes are a bit big if they're slipping around on you. (Champion socks work fine for me.) Good luck finding what works for you!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I like Balegas. I probably would like Drymax too, but I bought em too small and toe poked a hole after only 2 runs! I bought my wife a 3pack of Asics socks which also seem nice. Whatever you use, it should be wicking material, not cotton. Thicker socks like Thorlos might seem like a good idea, but I had more blisters than ever with them. I also like non-slip insole surface. Most shoes have slippery nylon insoles, so I spray that with a few coats of Plasti Dip rubber coating from HomeDepot. It sounds extreme, but it keeps my feet gripping, not slipping and reduces blisters. You may also need a larger shoe than you think...take out the insoles and stand barefoot on them... if your toes spread over the edges, the shoes are too small.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Balega and Smartwool. Love them!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I love drymax socks! I buy the hyper thin. They are by far my favorite socks!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I love Drymax!! I buy the thicker ones because I like the cushioning. No sweat and no blisters!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I wear socks that are 98% polyester and 2% spandex. They wick sweat off your feet and prevent blisters. Make sure they don't have too many seams. During marathon training, I wear my socks inside out to prevent rubbing from any seams. Never wear cotton as you will get blisters.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • you should also make sure that you're wearing the right size shoe. Socks are very important... but if your feet are blistering and sliding around in your shoe, you might be wearing a shoe that's too big for you too.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The best socks to run in for me is the Asics Hera. They hug my feet snuggly in all the right places so blisters and weird bunching are kept at bay. They've also kept my foot super dry and cool during longer hot weather runs. I've heard great things about Thorlos but they don't work for me. They're too padded for my new shoes and my feet burned up in them during a winter 5k on the east coast. I've also tried Feeture socks and while they are snug and breathable, the mesh rips easily.

Echoing what other's have already said, try some on and find ones that works for you and your running shoe. I think many sports/running shops have a box of socks for shoe fitting. Perhaps try some on there with your normal shoes and run around. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • YOURS....lol.
    just being funny:-)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I love Swiftwick. Thin, keeps the feet dry, and just the right amount of compression around the midfoot.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I love Running Room socks! Love! The double layer ones are my fav for running as they rub eachother and not your skin (so zero blisters). I'm sure there are lots of great ones out there tho.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I really like running in Smart Wool ankle socks. Thin and comfy!!!

http://runnerdude77.blogspot.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Balegas are fantastic! Thorlo Experias are great too!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i wear champion socks and love them. i also picked up a pack of tap out brand socks and have had no problems with them. like others have said, i think the material is more important than the brand. as long as it wicks away sweat, you should be good to go.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I really like the Thorlo min crew which I wear most of the year. When it's really hot I wear a pair of Balegas. They have less padding and are lighter, but either is great!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • The brand you like! BUT get the right size socks. I just recently discovered my socks were too big. Shocking for me as I wear a size 11 shoe!! I went down a sock size, and no more slipping/blisters!!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • oh my. head into a running store or sporting good's store and head right to the wicking socks. Drymax, etc. are really good and then experiment with a couple diff. kinds and see what works best for you. All mine are are cut low just below the ankle but again that works for me. As some have mentioned, make sure you have the right shoes for your feet, gate, arch, etc. If you don't this will really make running unpleasant and lead to injury. also remember that as your feet get hotter they swell so that's why you should usually get shoes about a half inch larger. I learned that the hard way training for marathon number 1 back in '08. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I haven't tried every brand, but I'm pretty happy with the Balega's. Personally- I like the ones that come out of the shoe and stop below the ankle. the really 'invisible' ones are more for style than they are for running. it's nice to have a bit of margin between the top of the sock and the shoe, so that if if sinks down a bit you're not chafing.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • wigwam anything, but there high end socks are the best.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I got my socks at Costco. 6 or 8 pairs for about the same price as one pair of the running store brand socks. I think they are Adidas. Great for wicking. Never had a blister with them.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I've run in Drymax, Smartwool, Wigwam, and $1 Target holiday socks (which performed nobly). I'm running in Injinjis now. I develop callouses between my toes and because the fabric separates my toes, the Injinjis have been awesome at preventing that, even during 20+ mile runs.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I second with Injinjis, amazing socks, especially when running long distance.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • cotton socks are the devil

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • cotton socks are the devil, i wear balega

answered over 2 years ago |edited over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Balaga

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Just picked up my first two pairs of injinji today.. and I love em. they do a wonderful job of wicking and spreading out the toes just enough to cause them not to mash together after they have swollen.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I swear by my coolmax socks (or what have you). Blisters are caused by moisture and friction. Tight coolmax socks keep my feet dry and keep the skin from frictioning. Instead it's the sock that frictions. At one time I even bought thin polypropylene undersocks under my thick wool socks for hiking.. Got me through 200 K in 4 days without a single blister !

Als make sure your technique is right. Wrong running technique also helps frictioning of your foot (and thus can cause blisters)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Injinji toe socks if you get blisters between your toes. Drymax is good too, keeps my feet dry during runs. What surprised me most of the time is how dry those Drymax were after washing them in a washer. I'll recommend those 2.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Lauren I'm not an expert, but the socks should not have any cotton and should be made specifically for wicking moisture...there are lots of different brands...I prefer ones that are ventilated and give a slight arch support....I just bought Balega and love them...I have not had any issues with blisters wearing them

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Darn Tough socks. They're a merino blend, and have a lifetime warranty. I love love love mine. They're a little pricey, but I think they're worth it.

http://darntough.com/run-bike-1717.html

My favorite are the no-show mesh.

answered over 2 years ago |edited over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Cheap socks gets loose on my feet. Under Armor and Nike has couple socks which are made for specifically running. It adds a little more cushion and has a better fit.

Found an interesting article which talks about running socks:
    http://deviceraters.com/top-3-running-socks/

answered over 1 year ago |edited over 1 year ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Competitive Running