Answers/

Competitive Running

How do you train the week AFTER your first Half Marathon?

asked over 2 years ago | Report

I'm doing my first half marathon on Sunday. I'm already thinking ahead for how to train & recover the week afterward. My next half marathon isn't until October (assuming I make it through this one). What do you recommend?

11 answers

scroll to bottom
  • ideally, you'd rebuild after a race the opposite that you tapered before your race. but- just wait and see how you feel. If you really go all out and run it at your body's limit- then expect it to take up to 2 weeks for a full recovery. If you're just going out for a 13mi jog, then you should be back in a couple days.

Recovery is very different in each person and is a function of years running, recent mileage, age and intensity of the race.

but- I believe in ACTIVE recovery. Get moving as soon as you can. If you're not ready to run the next day or two- get on a bike, or in the pool.

answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Oh that's a good question! I can tell you want not to do. Right after my first half, I read to take a week off. BIG mistake! My body re-adapted to not running and getting back on track sucked. My advice, give it about three days and rebuild your miles. Defiantly don't do nothing for a week, if you can't run then do some strength training, swimming or biking, but by all means stay active. Taking a week off was the worse thing I did, and I picked up 10 pounds doing it. My next half is in Aug, and I feel worse now than when I originally stared training all because that week. It takes one week for your body to adapt to something.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree that just walking around makes a big difference. After my first, I couldn't run for a week so rode the bike and elliptical. Ran the day after my second. Just listen to your body.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My first half marathon was on April 15th. I biked the day after, then had a rest day, then started running the day after that. I went back to the same number of days running per week, but started with just easy runs, no speedwork, and I only did 5 miles for my long run that week. I was hoping to be back to long runs and some tempo runs, but I had a bike wreck over the weekend that's making me take a few days off while my knee heals.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I agree with the get active part. You will have lactic acid built up after your run, so get out and do something. If the legs are hurting badly, go for a swim or a bike ride. If you feel up to it, try a mile or 2, just make sure not to go to hard. Nice and easy for a week or 2 and then go from there.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Howdy Tabatha,

My wife arranged for me to get an hour massage the day after my first half last Saturday! That helped get the lactic acid out of my legs. I started my Chicago marathon training this week - I ran 4 miles easy on the gym treadmill on Monday and felt fine. I did a hard 5 mile threshold run today and still feel fine. I have lots of easy runs on my trainng plan the next couple of weeks to continue building my base.

FR sent!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Achieve your own brand-new Years resolution in 2010 inside the all-new Nike Air Max 2012

Wholesale.Designed for comfort and performance,Nike Air Max 2012 cheap wholesale features high-

end technology combines with streamlined to provide maximum comfort and cushioning for

runners.This design will probably be added and durable.But Nike Air Max 2012 shoes are light in

weight. Nike Air Max Shoes wholesale is going to be included with the Orion blue and add traction

rubber outsole combined with Air Max 2012.Remaining unchanged could be the running-specific 360-

degree Max Air footbed. When you for the Cheap Nike Air Max wholesale, you simply won't miss it.
    nike air max shoes is very popular in the world. there are more than 1000 kind air max shoes. the

lastest I think is air max 2011 and air max 2012.
    Link:http://www.cheapnewairmax.com

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Great question! I just finished a half a few weeks ago, and had this same dilemma. My running coach is very conservative, and he recommended I take the first couple of days off followed by a light running day, then another day off. While I agree that taking a day or two off from high impact running is a good idea, don't just veg. Be active, do something low impact, something to keep your body moving. I did a full yoga routine the day after the half, and it made a huge difference in how I felt and how fast I recovered. I agree with Morey's answer -- recovery is different for every person, given the variables he mentioned. It's 13 days after your initial post, so I hope things are going well for you now! FR sent!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Day after my half Indy Mini I ran a 3 mile recovery run. Than I went back to normal.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • answered over 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Well first there is beer to drunk, high fives to be given out and war stories to be told. That should get you through monday. Seriously, take a day or two completely off. Then by wednesday and go for a short easy run to see how you feel. if everything is good, then on Friday go out again for a bit longer effort. if everything is good after that, then go back to normal training.

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Competitive Running