Answers/

Competitive Running

What to expect for a first 5K?

asked almost 3 years ago | Report

I'm running my first 5K in a little over 3 weeks. I haven't competitively run since I was in middle school and was a sprinter at the time. What should I expect? Do you have any tips?

5 answers

scroll to bottom
  • Stick to your regular routine (food, clothes, shoes,etc.) , relax, and have fun. Good luck!

answered almost 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Pace yourself, don't wear yourself out on the first mile trying to pass everybody. If you are a walker stay towards the back before the race starts when everybody lines up, if you are a jogger be towards the middle, and if you are a runner be more towards the front. Try not to eat right before you run if you want to eat try to eat 1-2 before the race. And if your time isn't want you wanted ahh who cares? At least you finished and probably had fun along the way, your time will improve the more you train and do more races. Don't be nervous you will do great!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I just did my second 5k on St. Patrick's Day! I was nervous even though I already did one. What I've noticed is that your time may be better than usual (atleast mine was) because you get hyped up (in a good way!) You'll feel accomplished when you cross that finish line. But what everyne else said, pace yourself! Good Luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Register ahead of time and get there early so you can park, get your bib, and then relax. If you can run (or even drive) the course ahead of time, that helps take away some of the mystery. Make sure to pack everything you need the night before. And above all, have fun!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • First of all, have fun. Take in the whole environment. Make friends. If you're a competitive person, don't go in competing against everyone else - run your own race. Decide what your goal will be (is it to run the whole thing without walking? Is it to finish in a certain time?) and then go for it. I've found that the runners in every 5K I've run in are really friendly - maybe you can find someone who you can run with...

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Competitive Running