Answers/

Competitive Running

How has your raceday time compared to when you run your races on a track etc, by yourself? I haven't done any racing yet

asked over 3 years ago | Report

15 answers

scroll to bottom
  • I set the bar realistically for races based on my training and usually do a little better. I love running events and being with other people who challenge themselves physically. Have fun with it!

answered over 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Fastest I have run a 5k is 25. Fastest I have run one in training is high 26-27. My race times are always much faster than training. Even my training pace runs are slower. There is just nothing like the excitement of races. I ran my first half marathon last year and trained for it between 9-10 minute miles. When race day came I was consistent at 8:30 a mile. It surprised me.

I think everyone is different. I run alone so there is not a partner there to push me. Maybe I'd be closer to race times if I trained with people.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I think as you get faster and more experienced then its easier to run faster to your race time in training, But you will nearly allways run faster in a race than in training if you execute a reasonable race plan well. The race day adrenaline just carries you a bit more than when training.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I always run 5k's and 10k's much faster than the pace I train at. Unfortunately, I've certainly pushed myself too hard at the start of half marathons and my time, ultimately, suffered for it. So that's an example of race adrenaline misused.

Personally, I wish longer races didn't have pacers with their loud signs. I like to be pleasantly surprised at the finish line. Knowing where I'm at while the race is on-going just puts me through needless emotions.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Race day adrenaline just makes me want to pee. I always run slower.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My race times are always faster for a few reasons. I typically run half marathons, so when training I usually don't push 100% for the entire run while I'm training. I have a taper period just before a race where I try to save up a bit of energy for the race. On race day there is the excitement and adrenaline helping give me a boost. Last, it's a little easier to maintain a faster pace in a pack of runners than when I train on my own. So I expect a least a 10 second per mile boost come race day.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • At this point I have raced 5K and 10Ks and have seen my race pace improve by nearly 15-20 seconds per mile compared to my training pace. There is alot to be said for the adrenaline factor.....and I always seem to lock onto someone ahead of me that I perceive to be running just fast enough to push me along....as I try and chase them down :) I'm training for my first half this October, and for that distance I have to keep telling myself to make sure 'reel it in' at the beginning of the run....there is alot of time to steadily increase my pace as I get into a rhythm.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I tend to run faster at races in general than my best training times. I also run faster alone than I run with people, but that could be due to trying to pace with them as well. So far, my race times are probably 15-20 sec a mile faster than my training times, average. The adrenaline makes a huge difference, as does the course whether it's flat or hilly, paved or off road.

My best 5K training run to date is just at 24, I"m running one tomorrow night and I'm shooting for UNDER 24. For longer distances, say 10K, I shoot for under 55ish.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • my race time is always faster than my training time. did 42:13 in a 10K race & 1:30:01 in a 20K race compared to 44-46 minutes & 1:32ish in training :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My race times are significantly quicker, when I hit 49 mins for 10k's last year I was training at 54 mins for the distance. I try and race once a week, very lucky to have free time trials in the area. Trainingin I focus on breathing, and cadence, increasing distance so that when I race I can motor on..

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • My training times (with the exception of speed work / pace specific) are always slower than race paces on purpose. You physically can't run at max effort everyday without crashing and burning or injuring yourself. There are days to go slow and days to go fast. Figure out which is which.

answered about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • I am a pretty slow runner and run about 14 min miles. This morning I ran in a 9k race and ran at 13 min miles, the course included several hills and one huge one, so I was extremely pleased that I ran so much faster during the race than during my regular runs...my friends told me beforehand that you generally run faster during a race than when training...given today's scenario I would have to agree!

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • i set a realistic goal on training based on how far is the run and how fast will it be done.. for instance for my 5 kilometers my sub-time is 20mins. it will reduce to 16-19minutes during the race day...

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • my easy pace is 9:00 per mile. my 5k race pace is 6:30 per mile. my tempo pace is something around 7:30 per mile. I think that is a reasonable spread in pace.

in my experience people run their easy days way too fast. I've often seen people running 8:00-8:30 pace every day who think I am slow and then they cannot beat me in a race and wonder why.

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • come race day- I'm always faster than in training. Not sure if it's due to the taper, or just the energy of the race, but I always seem to surprise myself by 10sec/mi or so.

I'm with Doug (above). Most of your running should be pretty slow. This works well, because it allows you to do far MORE running. of course- you need to do more running.

answered about 3 years ago |edited about 3 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Running - Competitive Running