Forums/

Beginner Triathlon

brick workout at the gym question

posted over 2 years ago | Report

When I have a brick workout of a swim and then a run or bike and I'm doing it at the gym (or even if I was swimming in the ocean), how fast should I be trying to transition? I'm assuming I should leave my swim suit on, throw on some shorts and shoes and go, but is there anything more to it? Should I be trying to keep my HR up?
Any advice would be welcome! :)

11 posts

scroll to bottom
  • lol, I was just talking about this. Why is it called a brick? I was told it's b/c that's what your legs feel like, but I'm much more used to hearing people say "my legs feel like jello" or "they're rubber" and stuff like that. very contrary to brick feeling. I could understand if they said "b/c it feels like you have bricks in your shoes"

posted over 2 years ago

• it's a race simulation so if you can get it done quickly and safely you're good to go. no need to worry about your HR during the transition. FYI be careful wearing a swimsuit AND cycling shorts - cycling shorts are designed to be worn commando and might be uncomfortable to ride w/ a bathing suit on. the purpose of this workout is to get your body used to the sudden transition of blood flow from muscles from one sport to muscles needed in another quickly (i.e. cycling muscles to running muscles)

posted over 2 years ago

• Thanks, Joe. I did it as quickly as possibly without looking like a crazy person at the Y.
    If cycling shorts are meant to be worn commando, what do people wear during the actual race? Do they just throw some shorts on over their suit (like I did) or I know some just ride in their suit... in other words, grin and bear it?

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Nancy said:Thanks, Joe. I did it as quickly as possibly without looking like a crazy person at the Y. If cycling shorts are meant to be worn commando, what do people wear during the actual race? Do they just throw some shorts on over their suit (like I did)... read more

Triathlon shorts typically have a much thinner/smaller pad than cycling shorts (some have no pad). They are designed to not interfere with running and to dry quickly. I've learned to enjoy the funny looks from people around the gym when I do brick workouts!! Jump of the stationary bike and practically run over to the treadmill... get's you some silly looks sometimes!

posted over 2 years ago

• Scott, so you would do your swim, then throw on the tri shorts for the bike run?

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• you'd wear the trishorts from start to finish - taht way you don't have to change outfits. like scott said they dry quickly, had some padding and work well for the run. putting on a dry cycling short on a wet body that is ina hurry is not easy though very comical to watch. and a cycling short used as a swimsuit will feel like a big soggy diaper on the run (and may cause severe chaffing - at least it has with me)

posted over 2 years ago

• Got it. So I need to look specifically for "tri shorts" I'll check it out, thanks for the great advice!

posted over 2 years ago

• Ted
    Ted Sendmail

When I do do my gym bricks/tris, I wear my jammers in the pool, do a quick rinse to get the chlorine off, a quick locker room change into cycling/running/tri gear, then move along. It is slower than during a race, but usually takes less than 5 minutes and everything is stowed properly in the locker. Not perfect, but that is the way it goes.

posted over 2 years ago

• What are jammers?

posted over 2 years ago

• Ted
    Ted Sendmail

Thigh length speedo/swim suit

posted over 2 years ago

• Under the military dictatorship of former President Hosni Mubarak, farmers say, many small-scale growers were forcibly evicted by government security forces so that political elites could settle or develop their land. Since Mr. Mubarak’s ouster they have been fighting through the courts to get it back.

The land wars pitch members of the old guard’s inner circle against the Brotherhood’s grass-roots supporters. The outcome of this fight may show who really pulls the strings in post-revolutionary Egypt.

Khamis Abdel Khaled recalls the day in October 1997 when he and about 50 other residents of Fayoum, an ancient oasis in the Western desert, were rounded up and driven to the local police precinct. They were held there and beaten for three days without food or water, he said during an interview this month.

“They even kicked the women,” said Mr. Abdel Khaled. “They told us the land was not ours but ‘gifts to the Wali family from the state.’ We had to bribe a junior officer to use the bathroom.”

Youssef Wali was the minister of agriculture for two decades under Mr. Mubarak, who routinely gave huge tracts of land to loyal judges, generals and ministers.

Driven from 400 feddans, or about 415 acres, the http://www.cheapairjordanusa.com/ Fayoum growers spent the next 14 years as itinerant laborers or public-sector workers in Cairo.

After Mr. Mubarak was ousted last year they resettled the land, but are now in a legal battle with the family of Mr. Wali, who recently was sentenced to 10 years in prison on corruption charges arising from his time as a minister.

The land feud in Fayoum, 130 kilometers, or 80 miles, southwest of Cairo, is part of an escalating war for control of Egypt’s most precious resources: arable land and fresh water. In 2010, according to data compiled by Sons of the Soil Land Center, a nonprofit organization in Cairo, 270 people were killed resisting dispossession, up from 197 in 2009.

posted over 2 years ago