Answers/

Beginner Triathlon

First Triathlon---need bike info:-) PLEASE

asked about 2 years ago | Report

I am joining a group of ladies from here to do our first triathlon. But I have NO IDEA what kind of bike to start with. I really don't have the money for something expensive and I have heard that I should buy a hybrid?? I am clueless:-). HAHA!!
Any suggestions? found this bike on craigslist but is this something good to start with? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/2853761298.html

3 answers

scroll to bottom
  • this is a pretty huge question- as it so much depends on you, your experience and comfort with bicycles, the amount you intend to ride, the riding conditions, your competitiveness, etc.

If you're new at this, need a first bike, and the thought of getting on a racing bike with those skinny tires and the drop handlebars puts a little fear into you- then yes, this craigs list bike may be just the ticket. There are certainly 'faster' bikes out there- but whether or not they'll be the right bikes for you depends on you. I suggest you walk into your local bike shop and let them show you the differences, and you can try some of them out.

good luck- and have fun.

answered about 2 years ago |Report

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • Morey hit this dead on. Figure out your budget. Get to the bike shop. Ask questions and test ride bikes. Remember full-on, high-end Tri-bikes are expensive, you don't need one of those, yet. :)

thumbs up
      thumbs down
  • You say you're joining a group of women to do the triathlon... do they already have bikes? Maybe a couple of them would let you take their bikes for a spin, so you could see what the bikes are like? Or maybe someone would go to a bike store with you? I know I'm always excited to go bike shopping with someone, or to lend someone a bike to try and turn them on to my favorite sport.

I'll third the suggestion to go to a bike shop (or two or three shops if possible) and try some bikes out. The most important thing for your first bike is to find one that feels comfortable, that you feel like you can easily control, and that you want to ride. You can find good deals on craigslist, but at a bike shop you can try out several different models of bikes in different sizes. Also, a good bike shop will help you set the bike up so it fits YOU - seat height is comfortable, brake levers are within reach, stuff like that. Good luck!

thumbs up
      thumbs down

Similar Questions in Triathlon - Beginner Triathlon