Forums/

Beginner Running

Advice needed - buying new running shoes.

posted over 5 years ago | Report

Hey folks, I'm looking to get some advice from teh interwebs about buying new running shoes.
I started running a little more seriously a couple of months back. And by more seriously, I mean that I'm now running a 3 mile loop 2 or 3 times a week, rather than the 1 mile I was running once every couple of weeks whenever I felt particularly motivated.
I've noticed though that my feet feel tired - not sore, blistering or cramped, just tired - and I'm wondering if my shoes are to blame.
Right now I have a pair of Reebok Runtones. I LOVED these shoes when I was running less, but now they feel heavy and I've noticed that my foot rolls inward more. In addition to running further and more often, I'm now running on roads as opposed to running on grass.
I think it's probably time to invest in some new shoes, and before I spend money I wanted to get as much advice as possible. I'm on a very limited budget so need to make sure that whatever I get it's money well spent. Thank you!

• New Balance trail shoes are the way to go. I won't pay more than $50 for a pair of shoes and I always manage to find them at that price or cheaper. I wear my shoes for 500 miles and at the end of the 500 the New Balance trail shoes still look good.

posted over 5 years ago

• My suggestion is to go to a local running store and have them fit you. A good shop is one that sponsors local races and has training groups and such. These guys are in it for the love of the sport and not so much the profit like the chain stores. Tell them your budget and they find something that will work for you. Oh and make sure to take your old kicks with you. Any store worth their salt will want to see the wear pattern. Good luck and happy running to ya!

posted over 5 years ago

• I completely agree with Brian. This is one of the times when a specialty store is going to serve you well and be worth the money, though in my experience they aren't really much more expensive than what you'll be able to find elsewhere on comparable shoes. The times you find very low prices is when a shoe is being replaced by a new model and that's a REALLY good time to buy that shoe, if it is one that works for you. Otherwise the specialty running stores should be within 5-10% of any other place for the same shoe and I believe you really get your money's worth.

posted over 5 years ago

• You should definitely look at DMer Peter Larson's website, runblogger.com. He reviews excellent shoes and it's helpful to get a good bit of knowledge before entering the running shoe store and being fitted.

www.runblogger.com

posted over 5 years ago

• I've had great luck with Avia and Saucony. I'd second the comment about visiting a good running store though. They can really help get you the right fit.

posted over 5 years ago