Forums/

Beginner Running

Heart rate monitor problems

posted over 2 years ago | Report

My heart rate monitor is giving me weird numbers. I know that can't be at 185 when I start my run. I also can't be at 48 in the middle of it. What could it be?

13 posts

scroll to bottom
  • Uuuuggghh. I HATE it when mine does that!!! Are you using one that has a chest strap/continuous readout? I finally gave up on the chest strap and went with just the watch part. (has contacts to check hr) I even had my dh take it out once, and he had the same problem. Shoots up to WELL over 200 when I know darn well it's not that high!! (as low as 140s and high as 170s were the ranges where I checked against the watch.) The other thing it could be is power lines? I'll be in the market for a new hr monitor next year. Hopefully one that doesn't have interference!

posted over 2 years ago

• Well the start of the run I think I can explain, maybe. I'd heard that our tech fabric shirts sometimes build up a static charge and that can play havoc with the sensors. I had that happen to me a few times. To solve it if you wet down the contact sensors with some water before your start to run that should dissipate the static. You may need to do the shirt too. Or just don't dry the shirt, let it air dry before running with it. Of course, by the middle of the run you should have enough sweat to have dealt with any static. So maybe the battery needs changing?

posted over 2 years ago

• I have had a lot of trouble with garmin straps giving all sorts of weird readings. I now use a Polar strap with the Gamin transmitter & no longer have any problems

posted over 2 years ago

• I also used to have serious issues with the Garmin and changed over to the Polar strap with success. See this link for more information http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

posted over 2 years ago | edited over 2 years ago

• My model is the Polar FT1.

posted over 2 years ago

• That could be. I wear the Underarmor brand. I wet the sensor down, but maybe I don't enough. I'll see what I can do.

posted over 2 years ago

• I've found that rinsing mine with water every couple of uses keeps it functioning great. Salt from sweat can accumulate causing false signals, and the strap should be water resistant. Running it under the faucet before putting it on seems to help the sensors make contact at the start of my run.

posted over 2 years ago

• Also worth checking that you are not near power cables or other sources of electrical interference. or running with some one else with a HRM

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Bryan P. said:I've found that rinsing mine with water every couple of uses keeps it functioning great. Salt from sweat can accumulate causing false signals, and the strap should be water resistant. Running it under the faucet before putting it on seems to ... read more

I'll try that. I do really sweat.

posted over 2 years ago

• in reply to what Brian W. said:Also worth checking that you are not near power cables or other sources of electrical interference. or running with some one else with a HRM

I typically run by myself. That is one to consider. I'll look to see if there are power cables near by, but I don't think so.

posted over 2 years ago

• I looked up today, and there were power lines. Goodness! That might be the problem.

posted over 2 years ago

• could well be the problem

posted over 2 years ago

• or it could just be buggered, try all the suggestions then if its still bung contact the POLAR service desk.

posted over 2 years ago